The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
This tank has only been set up about 3 days now. Last night there was a couple spots of this white "fuzz" on the manzanita branches but hardly even noticable at all. Tonight it is everywhere, floating/blowing around the tank, attached or maybe just landed amongst the baby tears.. and doesn't look quite as much like "fuzz" but more almost like little ribbons blowing in the current (for lack of a better description lol) What is this stuff?? Is this just part of the normal cycling for a new planted tank or should i be concerned about this? A little info about the setup

Low-tech, dosing reccomended amounts of liquid ferts/co2
T5NO 22watt bulb x2 and a 25watt T8 lights
Lights on for 6-7 hours a day

here's a few pictures..

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is a natural bloom that occurs with alot of driftwood, particularly manzanita. I boil mine for 5+ hours and still get it. I have heard from differing sources that it is fungus, bacteria, or a mixture of the two. I just move it off with a net until it stops coming back. Yuck.

Please keep hands off glass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a little reassuring. I had read different people talk about a white fuzz algae but wasn't sure this was what they were referring to, as I said it looks more like ribbons of sorts than a fuzz. The manzanita were too big too boil, but i did soak them in extremely hot water for about 2 weeks prior to putting them in the tank. I will try to vacuum most of it up when i do my water change, but doubtful I will be able to get it off the plants as I don't want to uproot them since they probably have not taken hold yet. I've read that some kinds of shrimp, otos and plecos will eat this stuff? I'm assuming it's too soon to put any fish in the tank though..but as long as it's not harmful, I will just have to deal with the unsightly-ness :-/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.