The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
parva, nice little crypt pretty easy, beautiful once it settles in and starts new growth.

here it is in my tank. I split one pot of into two about six months ago.

Looks like crypt lutea. If your talking about the plant behind your staurogyne repens carpet?

OP, I think you got crypt lutea, grows a bit larger than parva.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha yeah they still have a couple pots in there i might snag up. Every once in a while they have a nice plant. About a year ago i got a red rubin sword from there and havent seen another one there since. Thats good to know that its easy to take care of. Hopefully it settles in fast and starts to take off

Attachments

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Since its from walmart I'm going with emersed grown Echinodorus tenellus (also called chain sword). They often sell tenellus but not often crypt parva. Also the way the leaves are dying are more characteristic of sword plants (echinodorus) than crypts, this species of echino loses parts of the leaf in straight lines, but crypts tend to develop a completely transparent leaf all the way to the base that then becomes gelatinous and dissolves away.

Echino tenellus will convert and grow long thin pointy leaves, almost like grass as it grows into its submersed form. Crypt parva will grow similar leaves like it has now underwater.

Ignore the flower stems on this plant, look at the leaf shape.

This is Crypt parva, notice the robust root system:

Compared to Echino tenellus, long thin, scraggly roots. Also this is what it looks like when it converts to underwater growth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.