The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just started my Walstad planted tank a week ago. I added organic soil beneath a layer of gravel. I've done a few water changes, but despite that this white stuff seems to keep growing... Could it be just biofilm? My water parameters seem to be okay according to my 6 in 1 test strips. The water does smell quite a bit though.
I did add a zebra snail on day one, but unfortunately it didn't make it (cause unknown)... Two days ago I added a couple of new tiny pool and ramshorn snails and they seem to be doing fine.

Long story short, is this stuff maybe just harmless bacteria bloom from my water adjusting or is it something I need to worry about and take action on?

·
Registered
210 Posts
In new tanks inorganic substrates like gravel will release oils and dead matter from their surfaces which get taken up by bacteria. This stops surface exchange of gasses which are needed by plants and beneficial bacteria so you should definitely try to get rid of it with water changes.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In new tanks inorganic substrates like gravel will release oils and dead matter from their surfaces which get taken up by bacteria. This stops surface exchange of gasses which are needed by plants and beneficial bacteria so you should definitely try to get rid of it with water changes.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Thank you for your response! In that case I'll try to get rid of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts