The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently moved my loaches to a different tank as they continue to wreck havoc on my recently planted stem plants & causing fish stress. I have not added new plants in about a month as far as invasive snails coming in.

I noticed 3 of the following pic today & disposed of them in a bleach filled cup & am wondering what are they. They were soft lacking any hard shell. I really do not want to put my pesky loaches back in my display just to control them.

Advice please & thanks in advance!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
321 Posts
Yup looks like an eroded ramshorn snail, looks like the pink variety.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible that your water parameters are causing the shells of baby ramshorns to be underdeveloped or eroded? I’ve seen this in one of my tanks and that’s all I can figure.
Thanks for your response.

It's a heavily planted dirt tank w/ CO2 and 7.6 ph, fully cycled keeping 5-15 Nitrates. TDS remains high, GH ~ 300 & KH ~ 200. All seem reasonable, I dose Macro/Micro daily via GLA PPS-Pro fert.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
321 Posts
The ramshorn shells will get like that if they do not have calcium in their diet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mini ramshorn? Never heard of them? I keep all other types of Ramshorns, guess I gotta get some of these. Are they all white shell pink body?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Mini ramshorn? Never heard of them? I keep all other types of Ramshorns, guess I gotta get some of these. Are they all white shell pink body?

I would avoid intentionally getting mini ramshorns. They breed prolifically, and are small enough to get into your filter. On one of my old tanks (I definitely overfed), I was pulling 1/4 cup of baby ramshorns out of my canister filter every month. They roasted the impeller, clogged flow, and were an overall nuisance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mini ramshorn were a pain. They are profilic breeders and they were just everywhere. Picking them off the tank, chemical treatments just did not work. Biological control with Assasin snails did the trick and slowly but surely wiped them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I would avoid intentionally getting mini ramshorns. They breed prolifically, and are small enough to get into your filter. On one of my old tanks (I definitely overfed), I was pulling 1/4 cup of baby ramshorns out of my canister filter every month. They roasted the impeller, clogged flow, and were an overall nuisance.
Pantyhose on the filter intake as soon as you notice the first one can help out with filter life if you find yourself infested. Just thought I'd put that out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.