The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If the eye-stalks are short and triangular=pond snail. If the eye-stalks are long, thin and hair like, bladder snail.

The way the spiral goes is a genetic lineage thing, not a good identifier.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
And what is a bladder snail?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
A harmless little snail that produces easily surviving eggs in freshwater environments.

You shouldn't be worried about it, but if you don't like if, you can remove or kill it by crushing.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
surprisingly, crushing doesn't always kill it. they are so resilient that they will survive w/o an intact shell and will breed even after you unsuccessfully crushed one. I've seen this multiple times in my tank, and even after manual removal, they still persist. once they get going, they can't be stopped lol. they will hide out in your filter, in your substrate, outside of the tank under your tank lid. the best thing you can do if you don't want to deal with pest snails is to remove them immediately upon seeing one in your tank. prevention is the best way to have a snail-less planted tank. it is possible.

it is the Physa genus of snails if anyone is curious.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
That's a nice tidbit of info :) thanks.

I had no clue they could survive without a shell, but luckily shrimp usually get to them when they're shell-less.

I've always been a proponent of let them live in peace lol. They are not harmful to plants, and if you feed right, they'll not over reproduce!

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
450 Posts
surprisingly, crushing doesn't always kill it. they are so resilient that they will survive w/o an intact shell and will breed even after you unsuccessfully crushed one. I've seen this multiple times in my tank, and even after manual removal, they still persist. once they get going, they can't be stopped lol. they will hide out in your filter, in your substrate, outside of the tank under your tank lid. the best thing you can do if you don't want to deal with pest snails is to remove them immediately upon seeing one in your tank. prevention is the best way to have a snail-less planted tank. it is possible.

I trained my fish to attack falling crush snails. And they rip pieces from th falling bodies.

·
Registered
403 Posts
They are pretty harmless, but they do poop a lot. My little pea puffer loves to eat them, I never have to worry about a lack of calcium in that tank, she'll slurp out snails and then the shells dissolve lol

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I'd say the like/dislike is split 50-50. I used to breed ramshorns (and may again at some point) because people liked them to clean their tank thereby minimizing work on the owner's end. I don't like them in my shrimp tanks because I like algae on my glass. I have no probs with them in substrate.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i dislike having tons of pest snails on my glass. even in a non-show tank it makes the tank look lame. I do love snails though. especially my sulawesi snails. i dont mind having those all over my glass haha. the less pest snails the less competition for my tylos and the more breeding i get. which is why i pick out pests from time to time to lower the competition for the good snails. otherwise the baby tylos dont get enough food to make it into adulthood.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.