The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Simple easy plants for my Ramshorn snails, & other small water gardens to eventually get shrimp.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
637 Posts
It is Utricularia. It's kind of a neat plant, but it becomes a nightmare in the planted tank because little pieces easily break off and grow into new plants, making it hard to eradicate. I would get it rid of it before it's too late.

That being said, you could keep it in jar by itself just for novelty's sake. It's one of the few true aquatic plants that are carnivorous, and it has a surprisingly large yellow flowered compared to its size.

·
Registered
Simple easy plants for my Ramshorn snails, & other small water gardens to eventually get shrimp.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jadelin, thanks very much! I had been blindly searching google trying to find the name for some time. The Utrcularia that I have is in a separate jar. I only keep snails these days and may add it to my snail jar, as I do find it an attractive and delicate plant, and it would not be invasive in this case. But I can see how it would be annoying in a well planted tank.
The fact that it is carnivorous was the most surprising fact, and the yellow flower was amazing info also.
I do appreciate you taking the time to answer this question of mine!
Sue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carpenoctem, thanks, but I am now certain it is indeed Utricularia. In the photo it does look a bit like Hornwart, I do agree.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts