The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I normally keep a list of anything I plant in my tank but I somehow never did with this plant. I'm not sure what it is but I moved it from my quarentine tank to a community tank and it took off like crazy. It is so long it covers much of the surface so I want to trim it some if that will not damage it. If I do trim it, will it stop the upward growth or will it sprout again at the top? Alternatively, I can move it to a taller tank.
Since it is from my quarentine tank I know it is a cheap plant if that helps with identifying the species.
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks like water sprite to me, I could be wrong though.

Should be fine to trim it. A lot of people usually just cut the tops off of stem plants and replant them. You can keep the bottoms in or pull them out, completely up to you. The bottoms may sprout two new stems where cut. It should be fine either way.

A little side note, most plants we keep in our fish tanks are considered invasive species. So you'll want to dispose of it properly and not just throw it in the trash or outside. I usually toss my scraps in a ziplock and wait for them to rot/wait until I fill the bag.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You can cut it in half; trim; whatever; if you want more of it just replant the piece you cut off.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Myriophyllum. Can't say which species.
A picture from a bit further out would help; from that picture it could also be hornworth or green foxtail (which is green myrio); ambulia, there is one other plant but i can't remember the name. It does look like myrio green but there are a couple of similar plants...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
A picture from a bit further out would help; from that picture it could also be hornworth or green foxtail (which is green myrio); ambulia, there is one other plant but i can't remember the name. It does look like myrio green but there are a couple of similar plants...
No, it's definitely not hornwort (Ceratophyllum) or Limnophila (Ambulia is out an of date name applied to that genus).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts