The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am just starting up a planted tank and have noticed that there are these small, clear, organisms growing on one of the plants. I noticed a couple early on and they have multiplied quite quickly. Just wondering if anyone had any idea what they were and if they are parasites or what and if so, what to do about them. Keep in mind that the stalk in the picture is only about 2mm wide so these things aren't very big. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

20111020-DSC_1725.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
great pic,could be some sort of fungus.if it was in my tank id bin the plant and do a large water change,just in case it infects the rest of the tank.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Although I am not too sure what it is, I believe it is typical of a new set up. It could be diatoms which are caused by silicates in newly set up tanks. When i set up my first planted tank about a year ago I had all sorts of wierd stuff like this - slimy white stuff on my driftwood, dust algea on my plants and substrate (these I learned were diatoms). In any event what ever they were eventually disappeared from the tank as the cycle completed and the substrate and filter matured. I would continue as planned - keep up with maintenance and your fertilizing regimen.

But I am interested to know what others have to say - I am subscribed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing is that I know exactly where this plant came from. It is a very large and thriving plant in my mother's cichlid tank. Upon looking closely at that one, they are present there too but not to the same degree. As of right now, it doesn't appear that they are hurting the plant. Really that is only one of two plants in the tank at the moment (this tank was set up about three days ago) so I'm not super worried about the other plant but I am cautious to putting any more in until I figure out what this is.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah great pic! I was waiting to get a new cam so I could try to find out what that stuff is too cuz I have it in a couple of my tanks and it doesnt really affect anything. One of my tanks is 2 yrs old and the other is about 5 yr. Even had it in a breeder net on some moss with some eggs and fry and didnt harm anything. Quite the usual thing to happen just now seen it this year after yrs and yrs in the hobby. I thought it might of had to do with breeding and maybe fish sperm but I dont know.....Would love to find out as well also subscribed.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Great photo! This same stuff appeared on my daughter's melon sword when we set up her tank. Once we put fish in (a pair of male endlers), it went away. Whether they disturbed it or ate it, I don't know, but it hasn't come back since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, what type of camera equipment we working with here?
Since you and some others are curious, the set up is a Nikon D90 with my 18-105mm Nikkor lens reverse mounted (In essence it changes it from a zoom lens to a macro lens). At it's closet, it fills the frame with about 5mm lengthwise. This picture is probably closer to 6-7mm across. All I had to do at that point was turn off the pumps to stop the current from moving it and I got lucky that the plant was the right distance from the glass otherwise I would have had to move it. A little post processing to make what I was looking at stand out.

And thanks for all the advice so far. Fungus seems to be the thought so far, but still open to other thoughts/comments if you have them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts