The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I initially thought this was going to be a flower. Is this just a rhizome? I don't want any more Amazon Sword, so just cut it off or wait and see if it does flower? It started making roots...

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
its gonna be another sword. i would say see if anyone wants it first? otherwise start another tank! haha

congrats on the healthy plant. if those first two options are out then just pull it I suppose? I am curious, I know this happens when an adult plant is happy, my question to you is how long did that take? I have a sword that is happy as hell, probably 20" tall and has been for about a month.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered my Amazon Sword from Amazon.com. I received my Amazon Sword from Amazon on December 31st, LOL.

We live on a private well and I do water changes weekly using 2 gallons of well water with 3 gallons of distilled water. I add Fritz Guard and Fritz Trace. I initially placed Seachem Flourish tabs around it. I just placed Tropica capsules about 10 days ago. I use Tropica liquid fertilizer and have CO2. This had to have begun about 3-4 weeks ago since I pulled it up and out of the water when I was doing water change 2 weeks ago. I have 4 other plants if they do the same thing...

I need to add a fast growing plant maybe Rotala HRA.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I let my plantlets grow, after maybe 2 weeks they start to develop roots, so I put in a sand.
now I have nice few 10-15cm plants.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
sounds like they will continue to do this. maybe grow some of them out a bit and sell them?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I trade my offsets in at my LFS for store credit to help fund my hobby. I've probably gotten $100 in credit in the last couple years to put towards other plants, fish and supplies. I've also traded with other hobbyists for hard to find stuff, so I never miss an opportunity to grow new plants for trade-in or barter.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If I had any room in my tank at all I'd trade you some H'ra for the sword. That stuff tries to grow out of the tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I had any room in my tank at all I'd trade you some H'ra for the sword. That stuff tries to grow out of the tank.
Would you say H'Ra does well as an emerged planting? Meaning, it stands up and doesn't fall over and spread across tank top. Our next tank will have submerged section, an emerged section and one type of terrestrial plant.

It is listed as a medium skill plant, do you think it will do well with the Aqueon clip on LED light? Currently in a 10 gallon. I was going to upgrade to the Kessil Tuna Sun adjusted using a PAR meter, prior to getting H'Ra.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It likes to spread and fall sideways. When it fills up sideways then it pokes some tops out of the water but not very high. As for the light, it will grow, mostly green and brown but if you want to bring out the pink/red tones definitely upgrade. Fertilizers also help turn it vibrant red

I think Ludwigia Red (the thick stem sp.) would grow well emersed. It grows straight out of the water

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have an Amazon sword that I moved from my old 25g tank to my new 75 gallon tank. It is like "The Little Shop of Horrors." It is poking out of the 20" deep tank surface and incessantly putting out new runners, most growing vertically and breaking the surface also. It is now too big and putting the scape out of balance. The good news is that my tank parameters are good but I think that it needs to be re-homed. I just need to decide on it's replacement(s). I would prefer something tall that does not require a lot of trimming and goes with the other low light slow growing plants. My main issue is that since the sword is fast growing I am pretty sure it is keeping my nitrates in check as I have very little algae.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have an Amazon sword that I moved from my old 25g tank to my new 75 gallon tank. It is like "The Little Shop of Horrors." It is poking out of the 20" deep tank surface and incessantly putting out new runners, most growing vertically and breaking the surface also. It is now too big and putting the scape out of balance. The good news is that my tank parameters are good but I think that it needs to be re-homed. I just need to decide on it's replacement(s). I would prefer something tall that does not require a lot of trimming and goes with the other low light slow growing plants. My main issue is that since the sword is fast growing I am pretty sure it is keeping my nitrates in check as I have very little algae.
What kind do you have? Over twenty inches is a pretty big variety. I've only ever seen radicans and Rubens get that tall in a typical tank.

You could try another, but smaller, variety of sword. Ozelots, particularly the "red flame" have stayed under 16" (even as big mother plants) for me.

Regular Amazon swords usually stay below 18" too unless they find the surface and decide to put out immersed leaves. If that's the case here then you need to retrain it like a tiger lotus to stay underwater.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts