The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've recently noticed this foreign substance on the tank glass. It is very minute and I've taken the picture with a macro lens.

I know there's that good green algae too. But what is this other substance?

I'm housing Malawi cichlids in a 25gal.
Water Vertebrate Green Nature Botany

Plant Flower Water Petal Body of water
Water resources Water Vertebrate Plant Nature

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looks like the beginnings of black beard algae. My dad kept a tank with a few cichlids in it, and it developed BBA all over the rockwork, heater, and intake piping. I think it's actually quite nice when it gets really long and flows in the current, but it will choke out any other plants in the tank if you let it.

You might need to do more frequent water changes to keep the organics in check. Or maybe improve the filtration. I keep cichlids in a 45g and I have no issues with BBA, but I'm running an AC110 and a Tidal 110 on that tank.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello,

I've recently noticed this foreign substance on the tank glass. It is very minute and I've taken the picture with a macro lens.

I know there's that good green algae too. But what is this other substance?

I'm housing Malawi cichlids in a 25gal. View attachment 1038686
View attachment 1038687 View attachment 1038685

Definely black beard algae as above, can get quite invasive (unless you like the appearance) generally means need to step up water changes frequency or quanitity

Edit - Unlike some algae it is quite easy I have found to scrape off plants and glass

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.