The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's roughly the size of a saucer and propagates by adventitious plants. Propagules form on the margins of the leaves. The stems are finger size and and the interior is foam-like. Some of the leaves that formed (not in the photo) look a bit like the whispy ones on ceratopteris.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
No no - I know this one! It isn't water sprite - it is a really cool oddball... big thick fleshy leaves, gets very large. It's really super cool.

I had it before but ended up loosing it, and I can't for the life of me remember it's name. I just PM'd the guy I got it from though and hopefully he can remind me. I'll let you know when I hear from him.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When Santa called her number, my wife picked a bag with a bakers dozen of easy to grow plants at the Missouri Aquarium Society Christmas Party. I asked the guy who put the bag together what it was and he couldn't recall what it was. He thought it was something Karen Randell found somewhere but that about all I know. It's really too big for my 29 so I'm going to try to keep it going until spring, when the ponds get going again. Until then, I have I'll have to find a home for the babies.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Well! That was prompt!

He said:

Ceratopteris pteridoides is the scientific name or commonly known as Jungle sprite or Water horned fern... I had one grow 12-15" in dia. and nearly 8" high.... Very cool plant and seems to be hard to find.. I have never been able to get it submersed because it has air bladders...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well! That was prompt!

He said:

I am glad to have helped freshen your memory Jen :icon_smil
This is a really cool plant that I kept for years both indoors and out...
I too am interested in obtaining some again...

It does really well under almost any light,however if you grow it under high light or outside it will get extremely large and well get even larger with alot of daughter plants hanging of it..
Here is a pic of mine covering my hand... I have a couple of pics on plantgeek as well..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.