The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have this growing in my 5.5 gallon in my dorm room and put this stem into my 75 just now. I believe it only has 4 whorls and is a Myriophyllum of some sort.

It came in as a hitchhiker with some R. wallichi, and it wasn't until I noticed that it grew a different color and grew faster that I realized it wasn't just a stem of wallichi acting weird lol.

Any help in the ID of this species would be great :D. Probably going to keep it in my 5.5, but not sure if I want it in my 75, or where in my 75 it should ultimately stay.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks more like M. heterophyllum. Pretty stuff but one of the restricted species so be careful with it.
Really? Oh boy, that's interesting then considering it was a hitchhiker lol.
I'm assuming by be careful you mean be careful in its disposal and do not ship it outside of my state?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate to bump my old thread, but I am kind of wondering what I should do with this plant.
It started out in a 5.5 being a hitchhicker with some rotala wallichii, and now I am debating if I still want it in this tank, because it grows quicker than the wallichii (which already grows fast) and looks relativly similar.

I might move it to my 10 gallon for a little while, or my 75 since it is bigger and is more or less empty, but I get the feeling that this plant might be more trouble than it is worth, especially since I can't even sell it really. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this, and anyone else have this plant?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I can understand the feeling that a fast growing stem plant is more trouble than it is worth - I think we all go through that at some point - but if your 75 is relatively empty, and the myrio IS gorgeous, then I think it is obvious what you should do.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will keep it in the 75 for the time being, but slowly replace it as I get different stem plants going. I'd maybe keep it in the overall scape, but I also feel like I would rather have things like gold neseae and different ludwigia species with a lot of color and pattern to them. We'll see I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.