The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large Crypt that is putting out what I say looks like a cattail from it's middle . I have never seen this before and can't find anything on the net about it . At first I thought it was a leaf that had not uncurled , but it is firm like a stalk . Anyone know what it is doing ?

Attachments

Reactions: Blue Ridge Reef

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will watch it for a while and if it starts to rot I will cut it off and trash it .

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That is an inflorescence, commonly referred to as a spathe in the hobby though that’s the name for the modified leaf that serves as the protective outer covering that you can see. The actual flower parts are in a small chamber at the bottom of the inflorescence. There’s a detailed diagram below.

Most people who are really into crypts grow them emersed where they are more likely to produce inflorescence. When submersed they tend to melt pretty quickly. Still nice to see though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
My crypts were big and were doing grate for long, suddenly one fine day I did found that they all are melting too fast. So did trim them all and did a large water change and now I am happy with newer growth it has good texture too. This all happens to me as I changed my light and fert at same time. But trim it, it will help

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oooh yeah them Crypts love melting... Ya look at them wrong and they melt. When I had Ich and treated the tank for 4 days with 1/3 water changes each day.... they started to melt. They Are now starting to slow the melt down and are showing signs of improving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.