The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was testing the water in my cycling 20-long tonight, when I noticed a weird white buildup on the suction cups of the heater. Here's a photo link.

(The photo's way too big to do an image link)

You can see where I rubbed a bit off: it dispersed like a powder, making me think this is some sort of precipitate. I'm doing a fishless cycle with ammonium chloride. Are these deposits a result of that? Any potential problems I should be aware of? I've got plants arriving on Thursday

:confused:

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Rubber-type items will often have just a bit of oily type residue that shows up. Never seems to be a real problem. for easing my worries about potential stuff on new items, I semi-auto do a bleach soak just so I know new equipment is not soaked in something I don't want. I spent too much time in the backrooms of stores and saw the way bug guys get pretty loose with the insecticides when they are in the backroom.
I just feel better knowing what is left on things that I put in the tank. Doing a quick soaks lets me start with a clean slate so that if something weird shows up, I have fewer options to sort out.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I had the same clips and suction cups on one of my heaters. Those suction cups are kind of crappy. They'll get hard pretty quick. I'd just replace them with good ones...

Tommy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.