The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have an angelfish that looks like it's go some sort of worm coming out of him/her. I treated my entire tank it was in with Levamisole yesterday. This is about 4 days in. 24 hours I moved him to a qt and dosed with epsom salt. 1 1/2 teaspoons for 5 gallons. Any other suggestions or recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
looks like camallanus worms.

To get rid of these you can treat with Levamisole or some other treatments. I went with the straight Levamisole powder. There are instructions online you can find to use. It should also come with some dilution instructions. I did end up having to use more to get it to work in my case.

This happens, the worms hanging out, when the worms get to later stages. So you should be acting asap.

Generally the treatment is for a couple days at a time 2-3 times with 2-3 weeks between treatments, often they'll tell you to turn out the lights. I looked into this a lot and stumbled upon a research document, had nothing to do with fish treatments. They had Levamisole solutions and found that it dilutes due to light in about 9 days. So I stopped turning my lights out or covering the tank, I did turn mine down as I am able to. If you can't turn it down I would just not use the light and not worry about covering it. If you have plants you're worried... Honestly don't even sweat it.

There is a killing amount of like 13x the recommended amount. Maybe it's 5x? I don't recall, obviously. I believe I only felt it necessary to do 2 treatments on my tank, again I did a bit more than the recommended the second time and the second day on the the first treatment as it seemed to do nothing at the recommended amounts for 36 hours. If it's working you should notice pretty quick. But at recommended doses Levamisole doesn't kill it stuns so you MUST do gravel vacs or just vacs in generaly at the very least daily. You'll see the little bastards all curled looking like thinner snail poop.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
These worms can be in fish for a long time and if the fish is healthy and not stressed they can just stay there sort of dormant until the fish gets into an unhealthy or stressed state kinda like moving to the pet store and then to your home. Where it will begin to multiply while the fish is at reduced health.

They can get them from eating copepods as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input... I did one full treatment of the main tank. I'm planning on doing a water change today and will re Treat the tank in 3 weeks. Unfortunately my angelfish passed last night. 5 Years old.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
thanks for the input... I did one full treatment of the main tank. I'm planning on doing a water change today and will re Treat the tank in 3 weeks. Unfortunately my angelfish passed last night. 5 Years old.
sorry to hear that. I would still to the treatment. When I did it I would do a water change and treat, then water change and treat the next day, sometimes a third but if I did it was only once.

But if they're in that tank then likely other fish has them. If your angel died it was probably getting old or sick from something else and the worms took advantage of the weak fish. Sorry again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.