The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, the first picture is a plant I found. It looks kind of like crypts, actually, and it's connected by runners. Ideas? Does it belong in Central Texas?
Also, does hairgrass live in Texas? I found some stuff that I'm quite sure is hairgrass... Loads of it all tangled up.
I brought some of both back, and I plan to put both in my tank after I QT them for assorted buggies.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It was doing something I've never seen crypt do... There were a couple of spots where the little plants were connected by runners and just sitting in midwater, five or so of them hooked back to the parent.
Here's a picture of the ones I brought back. They're pretty.. Do you suppose they're good for a tank?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, does it belong here? I haven't found it in many places... In fact, I've never seen it before aside from something in another lake that I couldn't get a clear look at.
What does it act like? Does it act like a crypt, perhaps?

Really? I didn't know that. Cool! Free hairgrass for my tank! I've been looking for something to let baby things hide, and boy was that stuff tangled.
Don't worry, I'm not gonna go and pull up a few bucketfuls. I'm happy with the handful I grabbed.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Could be P. illinoensis, which does grow there. It grows like a stem but doesn't grow side shoots when trimmed. Does grow new stems from runners though.

Eleocharis (hairgrass) is all over the place. Many species.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.