The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this stuff has been growing in the corner of my tank for tha last few months, on top of the highest point of my driftwood. Not sure if its plant or some kind of algae. In the water it looks like algae but when you grab it its very strong and is rather large making it seem more plant like. Here are a couple pics (ignore the duckweed):

Click on this one to see large more detailed picture.

It seems relatively contained to one spot, but it is somewhat difficult to remove if it starts to spread. Any ideas?

·
Registered
974 Posts
definitely clado. Very difficult to remove once it's in your tank :icon_frow

I have some in a bag since August last year.....looks like it will still grow if I put it in a tank.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
People have had success with H2O2 or Excel. I had to tear my entire tank down and bleach it to get rid of it. It's the algae from hell, especially once it starts to spread around since it'll grow underneath, into, and around your substrate.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
It'll grow on anything. Forgot to add. On ANYTHING. My 10 gallon has it growing on my rotala, moss, gravel, glass, filter output, filter input, inside my filter, and I actually saw a strand growing on one of my damn snails.
sandiegoryu: Rip apart all the plants that it's growing on and nuke your tank. With an infestation that severe, it'll take you months to get rid of it. Plus, it's a 10 gallon so it'll be relatively easy to re-do.

Remove everything that you want to keep, dump half a jug of bleach in there, and let the filter run. Rinse out everything half a dozen times, use a bunch of Prime to run it the last two times, then fill it up, get some filter media from somewhere else, or use Bio-Spira, and cycle. I got mine broken down, nuked, and up again in less than a week.

Watch out in the mosses you buy for this stuff. Once it gets tangled in the moss, it's hopeless pretty much. It's not worth trying to put in your tank for $2 in moss.

Another thing that helps is Amano shrimp. They'll eat the stuff, but not in great quantities. If you keep picking out clumps by hand, dose it via Excel, and have a good number of Amano shrimp, you might be able to get rid of it.

crazy loaches, you have a TON of the stuff...if it's in a large tank, remove all you can and get maybe 1 Amano for each 3 gallons of water and you might be able to get rid of it...good luck!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hehe thanks Nick, but for now I'll be letting it grow in my tank lol. Haven't really noticed it spread at all. It's already decently spread. I will nuke the tank later. I have some fish that have no home and would not like them to die yet. And I'm way too damn lazy right now. After spring break perhaps. I'd be less busy then.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow :eek5: looks like I got some responses lol. Glad I asked, now I'll try to work on removing it. I hope removing it by hand and using excel will hold it off until my new tank is ready to be moved into, which will hopefully be in a couple months. I cant see me tearing it down now when I'll be moving everything to a new tank shortly.

So out of curiosity, is there anything particular that causes this? Or does it hitchhike in on something?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.