The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Looks like a Grey hair algae to me. Generally a dosing of Excel via a syringe directly to the source will get rid of it. If that's not an option, sometimes Amano shrimp will keep it under control, though they can be picky if there's other food sources available.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I would check the top thread for "Guitars algae" etc on Algae section. The shape looks like both hair and Staghorn but hair is green and staghorn can be several colors.
They list causes and cures for each in that list.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would check the top thread for "Guitars algae" etc on Algae section. The shape looks like both hair and Staghorn but hair is green and staghorn can be several colors.
They list causes and cures for each in that list.
I would disagree, hair algae can take many colors, including red, Grey or white. It depends on the type of chlorophyll and it's pigmentation. Though admittedly the term hair algae can refer to hundreds of different forms of algae. It's almost impossible to label the types of algae without a microscope.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.