The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought some plants and found out there are these weird kinda like hair algae but i'm not sure if it is or could it be something else?

dont have a photo of the algae so i draw up how it looked... i hope it helps lol

its a green thread kinda algae and it grows in a bunch and around what ever it can find and attached to... it just pulls off easy but also breaks or snaps in half easy when you pull it....

here's a picture of how it looks (i draw what i see)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope... its more like a lime green color... its growing in the dwarf baby tears....

Edit: manage to get some of them off a plant and took a clear photo of them over a white lane paper so it shows up better on my crappy camera phone...

they look a bit dark on the camera but in person they look lime green to me... anyways now you can see exacly what they are so i hope someone can help me figure out what these algae are and how to kills these A.-H. :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Maybe some species of Utricularia, bladderworth. Do you see some little bladders? very small like 1mm in size for the bladder?

Michel.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its not a type of riccia i can assure you that....

its not a plant as it just grows in a clump like this just bushier and bushier

i dont smell any musky scent as there isnt enough to small... any one have a better idea on what this could be?

·
Registered
353 Posts
after looking at the pictures i'm pretty sure thats not staghorn. IME staghorn has been a light grey color and not nearly as brittle as what you have appears to be.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the question now is what is it? lol i looked around and cladophora is what it seems close to but if its not please speak up xD also if it is cladophora then how do i get this out of my tank?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll also say it looks like clado...

Pretty much indestructible.. Well, at least in a high-tech planted tank since it seems to grow well and fast when your plants are healthy. (I had to switch back to low-tech and remove all the infected plants :icon_sad:)

An army of hungry Amano shrimps may take care of your problem. (I only had 3 in my 70 gal tank, so that didn't help much.. I would've needed at least 50-70!)

Anyway, there may be some other ways to get rid of it, but I personally prefer the natural way (Amano shrimps)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do amano shrimps really eat clado algae? i know they eat hair algae but dont know anything about clado. first time getting this stuff and its from someone elses plant -.- can any one else confirm this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts