The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so from my post earlier I started a completely new tank with no fish just some java moss, dwarf hairgrass, and a piece of driftwood with another one waiting until the moss take hold.

A few days ago I noticed something weird that I though just might be a slime coat additive that I added. Until I talked to my LFS and the expert there didn't have any idea what it was.

Does anyone know what this stuff is?

I am running a DIY CO2 setup, could it be the yeast making its way into my tank?

Below are 2 pictures one is of my bubble stone that disperses the CO2 bubbles, another is of 2 spots where this hazy white crap is pooling in certain places, you can see it just to the left and in front of the dwarf hairgrass. I have circled it so you can see it better.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't know what exactly it is but it is familiar to me. In my experience, this stuff often accumulates on manzanita branches as they acclimate to being submerged in a new aquarium. Its definitely some type of biological process, but it is harmless. It always disappears on its own eventually. It seems to be pretty normal in a newly set up tank.
You can manually remove it and it may come back, but eventually it will disappear for good.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I don't believe that's what it is and it may not be harmless.

What you describe is a bacterial fungal-type growth, which is harmless, and comes out of new wood placed in a tank, but remains attached to the wood. It can be manually removed, but will likely come back, and in time will eventually disappear. It is off-white, greyish in color.
You would not find that type of growth in the locations you see in the pics above unless you made a point of removing it from the wood, placed it in those areas, and saw to it that it stayed there.
This is completely something else, and appears to have a bluish tinge.
I could be a yeast residue that has made it's way into the tank, as the OP suspects, and if so, it is likely harmless.
deathdealer, have you tried removing it with a vacuum ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
i see this all the time with diy co2 but never seen it with compressed co2.

+1 for some type of bacteria

·
Registered
430 Posts
Its true that it is in an odd spot compared to what I have seen. And since I have not used DIY CO2 (only pressurized) I must defer to others. But it does look very similar to the stuff I have seen grow on manzanita in a new set up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There for a time is was also on a piece of my driftwood, almost like a aura, but I boiled my driftwood before it ever touched my tank, I boiled and cooled it about 10 times. I didn't place it anywhere and it is really slimy to the touch. I have no idea what this is and neither does my LFS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.