The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, what do you think is the ultimate bulb to use on a planted tank.
I am not looking for the number of bulbs for a given size tank, but from everybody's own experience what bulb has given you the best growth, pearling etc...

·
Registered
576 Posts
The ultimate? Well, the "world famous" Eye Hortilux 1000 watt MH bulb would be a good place to start. I wish I had a tank to warrant these. Amano's 4' deep personal tank comes to mind.

I use GE starcoat HO T5's. The excitement has worn off since I first started using them a couple years ago, but I have yet to find a better T5 bulb.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Arcadia 150w Rx7 5,200Kelvin bulbs. My plants pearl so heavily it looks like iv got thousands of tiny air stones hidden in the tank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Who turned on the bubbles

I took the advice on the GE 9325K bulbs and picked up four from my local lighting place.
Paid $28 Canadian plus tax each. How does that compare to the States?

Man what a difference I was using 2 110W VHO URI Aquasun bulbs,
I was getting good growth but never any pearling except at water changes.

Well Ive got to tell you within 5 minutes of changing them over, pearling everywhere, :biggrin:

The light is noticeably brighter that the VHO bulbs
My one worry is do you guys think four bulbs is overkill on a 55 with Pressurised CO2 and EI Dosing?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I like the GE 9325k a whole lot, but the color is too pink for my tastes. I mix them with 10000k bulbs and it looks wonderful.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the GE 9325k a whole lot, but the color is too pink for my tastes. I mix them with 10000k bulbs and it looks wonderful.
I find them to be very comparable to the VHO 10000K URI bulbs that I had.
When I look directly at them I can see the pink but over the tank they look better than the URI bulbs

·
Registered
136 Posts
Are these GE 9325k bulbs available at places like Lowes or Home Depot? Or only specialty stores?

I am getting a 4x65 that has 2x10000k and 2xactinic so I need to replace two of them.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Are these GE 9325k bulbs available at places like Lowes or Home Depot? Or only specialty stores?

I am getting a 4x65 that has 2x10000k and 2xactinic so I need to replace two of them.
You can't find any 55 watt PC bulbs at the big box stores. You have to hit specialty stores. In the lighting section of my Guide there is a link to the place that sells them at the lowest price available.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cant rave enough about the changeover to the 9325k's.
Its like somebody turned on the pearling, everything is bubbling like crazy.
(all right who dumped a bottle of champagne in there???)
I will let you all know about the difference in growth in a week or two.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i paid $12.95 per bulb walked in the store asked if the had any the guy walk in the back room came out with the ge 9325 k sweet deal to

1 - 18 of 18 Posts