The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gang,

in my 60 gallon planted tank, I have three piece of driftwood. all covered in algae. i always have good buildup of algae on my walls and on the leaves of some of my plants.

only about 1 week ago i setup my pressurized co2 system. algae is still present so i dosed my tank with some tetra algae control .. is this okay?

is that stuff safe? are there better algae control methods?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I'd say, yes, the stuff is safe. Worth it? No. Generally I try to stay away from adding chemicals to my tank (other then dechlorinator and fertilizers). I mostly do this because from what I have heard they can mess with the pH of a tanks system, and can harm plants (instead of the algae).

What algae are we talking about here?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
IMO the best control for algae consists of:
1) low to moderate light. See the sticky in the lighting section on PAR.
2) adequate CO2... The higher the light, the higher the demand for CO2.
3) adequate ferts, including NPK and micros.
4) patience, especially with a new tank.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
gang,

in my 60 gallon planted tank, I have three piece of driftwood. all covered in algae. i always have good buildup of algae on my walls and on the leaves of some of my plants.

only about 1 week ago i setup my pressurized co2 system. algae is still present so i dosed my tank with some tetra algae control .. is this okay?

is that stuff safe? are there better algae control methods?
Common question and normal .....however, it is side tracks you from your goal: growing plants. Focus there, then algae are not going to be an issue, folks have given you good advice.

This hobby is about growing plants, and when you fail there, algae is the result, along with dead plants or plants that just sit there and do not grow.........light/CO2 are about 95-99% of it.

Then ferts.......

Read the Tropica Light and CO2 article also(google)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.