The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have too much light on my 55 I'm sure at 150 watts. I have a good bit of hair algae. I don't mind having some algae as my tank is filling up with cherry shrimp, guppies and malaysian trumpet snails all of which munch on algae.

I'm not quite ready to go the CO2 and fertilizer route as part of the charm of guppies shrimp and snails is that I never have to buy another one. It keeps the tank maintenance low and I already have a high maintenance reef tank.

Right now I have a 110 watt PC fixture and a NO T6 bulb at 40 watts. I have a dual bulb NO T8 fixture at 80 watts sitting in the closet. What fixture arrangement would be recommended to stay low tech but still generate some algae for the shrimp.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd try backing down to just the 110 watt fixture, and lower the photoperiod a few hours.

And I'd spot-treat the Algae with Excel and see if once you kill it, the lower light helps keep it from coming back.

If that doesn't work, you might try both the T6 and the T8 fixtures together, and stagger the lighting (say 80 watts for 8 hrs/day, add on the extra 40 watts for 4 hours in the middle) and see if that works better.

Adding floating plants is always also an option for light control. You've got several fixtures to play with so I think you can experiment and see what works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts