The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you guys please list the ideal media component that goes into a canister filtration system that is being use for a planted tank?

or personal recomendations, mistake, or things that works very well.
thanks everyone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pretty much any bio media will see you through... though many people recommend 'stone' or ceramic based media - including Takeshi Amano.

Good choices - in no particular order
-Seachem Matrix
-Ehiem Ehfi Substrat Pro
-Siporax
-Hagen Bio Max

For a cheap alternative, grab a couple of bags of the media that reef one sell for the bio orb tank (alfa grog is the 'real name).

I have an eheim 2217 filled with this, topped off with a coarse sponge and filter wool... and it has coped with some truly insane bio loads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Active carbon supposedly removes the necessary nutrients from the water that plants need. I don't know this for a fact as I don't use carbon in my filters, but it's something you might want to consider when choosing filter media.

·
Registered
405 Posts
activated carbon is a good medium...but last for a very limited amount of time. It will filter out discoloring agents, and other unwanted substances from your tank's water, but its ability to do that begins to recede quickly, as the tiny pores of the carbon fill up. If you frequently put fresh carbon into your filter, it'll be an effective "cleanser." On the other hand, so long a you aren't overfeeding and putting unnecessary substances into you tank, IMO, there's no pressing need for it and your water will be fine if you just follow regular maintenance, like properly limited feeding, use good-quality foods, do regular water-changes, use good-quality filter medium as mentioned by the others, clean the filter of the tank only when necessary, etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am getting ready to add peat pellets to mine. Lowers PH and softens water. Perfect for the discus.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can defiintely recommend Seachem's Matrix as biological media. I've been using it for several years and have found it to work very well. The media never has to be thrown out or discarded after being used for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts