The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with Kilifish?

I got 1 to try out expecting to see a bloodbath when I woke up in the morning and it has not bother any fish. It just skims the surface staring up like its trying to jump out of the aquarium.

Do they make good aquarium fish?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Many types of killifish. Best to Google the specific one your interested in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
They can naturally be found in puddles and those puddles become polluted or dry up so they have become really good jumpers to get to better water bodies.

They aren't that mean to other fish so I'm not sure why you would expect a bloodbath.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what the question even is here? Lots of people keep killifish in their aquariums. Are you possibly confusing them with a different species? Did you expect the bloodbath in that the killi was going to aggressively beat on the other fish; or you assumed your other fish would eat the killi?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Are you perhaps talking about a Golden Wonder Killifish? They have large mouths and will eat anything that comes close to said mouth and will fit in it. However, I never saw mine chasing fish down and it never ate anything it wasn't supposed to. I think the warning that it will eat other fish makes them seem aggressive, but I never found them to be, and they rarely noticed anything below them in the tank. I feel like it's mostly a matter of opportunity rather than aggression. If you put a small surface swimming fish like a ricefish in its face, it's going to eat it, but that's true of a lot of other fish too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The fact that they are called "killi" has nothing to do with their disposition, they typically aren't killers, it is just their name.

·
Registered
489 Posts
He's confusing killifish with murderfish, murderfish typically harass their tank mates until the latter
are dead or have to be removed, especially if it's the speckled murderfish, those are the worst in this regard
but they show up in stores less frequently anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts