The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 tank that's overrun with both plants (which I like) and snails (which I don't). It has a mated trio of Apistogramma cacatuoides, so I want it to stay pretty overgrown with saggitaria.

I'd like to start catching the snails (european ramshorn and "pond" snails) and toss them into my other tank, which has several loaches (yo-yo, B. dario, and a couple others). They'll make quick work of the snails.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to trap them? What kind of bait should I use? I need something that he Apistos and the 4 dwarf cory cats could pick at, but not scatter.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use new life spectrum h2o stable wafers which hold up for 24 hours or so and by the time they finally disintegrate or are almost gone, the snails come take over ;)

They literally pile up and take over the remnants of the wafer haha

also everything in my tank goes for them including the rams and cardinals

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 24 hour long wafers are a good idea, as is the zucchini, I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Everyday scrape the snails of the glass with a net and drop them in your loach tank.
The tank is literally wall to wall saggitaria and subwassertang. Scraping the glass isn't feasible lol. Especially a daily thing. Plus, the snails are all over the place and only a few on the glass at any point in time.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have heard that lettuce is good snail bait, put it in a plastic bottle overnight and in the morning you can lift out the bottle with the snails inside. (your dwarf corys might get in there too, but should be easy to dump out)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I use a small disposable plastic cup - the type you'd use in the bathroom. My tank is very deep so I made a small hole in the top edge of the cup and ran a long piece of string thru it and tied it off. Then I put a piece of cucumber or squash or really any vege in the cup (I attach the vege to a stone if needed to weigh it down) in the evening and lower it into the tank with the string hanging out the top. In the morning I pull it up by the string and I have a cup full of snails. I prefer this method even in a more shallow tank just cause I don't have to stick my hands in there. Also, there is no danger of a fish getting stuck in the cup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get a large Mason jar, make sure it's clean. Fill it with Romaine lettuce leaves. Lie it on it's side with stems facing out, (so they go in farther) and be sure to empty the snails in the morning. They'll come out during the day. Wafers will work, if you don't have a pleco and any kind of dwarf catfish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.