The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 12 gallon long and I'm currently building my shopping list, I have a 32 inch fluval fresh and plant 2.0 from my 29 gallon I've torn down I've considered hanging above the tank, but I'm concerned it may not be enough/may be too much, I want it to look clean and no detracting from the tank, I plan on doing a pearl weed carpet and a Java fern bush mixed with spider wood on the far left end of the tank it will be a high tech tank with osmocote root tabs and some sort of black inert substrate with CPDS and red cherry shrimps! What would you recommend? And if you have a 12 gallon long what do you use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What would you recommend? And if you have a 12 gallon long what do you use?
I use a Current USA Satellite + Pro over my 12g and couldn't be happier. Excellent plant growth, and I have to trim them every week or so. Very low profile and not obtrusive. (The below photo was taken when the tank was about 6 weeks old.)

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,329 Posts
Get something you can adjust/dim. 12 longs are very shallow and you will want flexibility to avoid issues

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get something you can adjust/dim. 12 longs are very shallow and you will want flexibility to avoid issues
Would the fluval fresh and planted 2.0 24 inch maybe 15 inches above the tank be enough? I would probably build a wood hood for it to go in above the tank to make it less obtrusive and to match the stand

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to have an adjustable height for the lighting the reason why I said 15 inches is I'm concerned the light will need to be raised to be able to fill the entire tank with sufficient lighting For proper photosynthesis

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,329 Posts
That fixture has a 120 degree beam angle so I don't think you are going to have issues with light spread

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I knew that spread would go front to back but wasn't sure if that beam angle would also go side to side

Bump: Thank you!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also have a current satellite plus on mine. I have it a couple inches off the water to help spread the light a bit. It's adjustable so I think it would work well for you. I have not used the 24/7, but I was also looking at it as it seems to have just adjust ability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts