The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello tpt!

im currently with aaa but they canceled me while traveling... now they ate asking me like $30 more a month.

geico offers me similar coverage for $30 less.

anyone want to share good/bad experiences with CA insurance companies?

i want to pay cheap and have basic coverage. Im very short of money for a few months.

thanks!

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
AAA was good prior to having my accident. After that, they wanted to nickle and dime me any chance they got. I said eff them and moved to Geico. Same coverage for $100 cheaper on the premium so I said, "See ya AAA!". Haven't had to deal with an accident with Geico yet but so far it's been smooth sailing. No hidden fee hikes or other issues for about 1.5 years now.

Don't get me wrong, I liked AAA when I had them mainly because they had their own DMV dept at their local office. That meant no dreadful long DMV lines which was awesome. They also have membership incentives which Geico doesn't. Oh well, I'd rather pay less and not have to deal with a company that don't take care of their loyal members. I was with AAA for 10 years before I dropped them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I looked around for a new company last year. They were a little more than Geico, but I went with Allstate due to the good customer service I received. I liked being able to go down the street and sit down to talk to my agent. They've been great to me so far. They even went as far as to call me to come back in and see if they could get my rates down for this year. Combed over every discount they offered to get me the best rates they could.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
After my recent accident with AAA, they hiked up my premium to about $50 more per month, I told them politely to go F themselves in the A and promptly switched to Geico; who is providing me with the same exact coverage for even less than I originally paid with AAA, and I was with AAA since I first got my license four years ago.

Other insurers that my parents have had are Alliance and Allstate, along with a number of obscure smaller companies that weren't very good.

I would say the leading car insurance companies in terms of affordability and quality coverage are AAA, Geico, Progressive, and Allstate, but I don't know much about any other insurance companies.

My experience with AAA is just that they provide convenience, they're not going to try hard to get you as many discounts as possible, nor will they work with you to complete your claims, they'd rather investigate for ways to deny it, like many major insurance corporations.

Other insurers provide incentives like membership discounts, or safe driving discounts, or great hands-on customer service, or even switching discounts!

Progressive prides itself on showing you quotes from other leading insurers and trying to hook you with better coverage or lower prices

AAA is convenient because they offer free towing, gas delivery, lower cost auto-repair shops, and stuff like that, but they are lacking on the policy and customer service side.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Progressive usually is the cheapest.
I still have them now that I need full coverage for my car but I keep the minimum insurance on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've been with Mercury ever since I started driving here in the US. Geico is the only other company that comes close to the price of Mercury while still having the same coverages, so I haven't had the incentive to change providers. We'll see if that changes when I ask for quotes again next year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.