The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I had purchased a LED system on ebay a while back.

It had no splash guard, very few lights which had a lenses which made the light spread out. It ended up with a few brights spots which grew tons of algae and tons of shadows in the front,back and random places in the tank.

I filled up my tank too high with the last water change and I think it shorted the light out. Right now its trying in the sun but it may be damaged beyond repair.

I am thinking that its better to get a wider LED light with lots of less powerful LED to light the entire aquarium but not have spots of massive Algae.

I am also not sure if those lenses which spread out the light may have change the wave length and cause the algae growth? The plants never grew well in that tank like it does in my other tank.

Has anyone here had good success with any Ebay based lighting system? If so, could you please tell me which one or possible PM me the auction link or number?

I don't know why but this forum think that if you post an Ebay link that you are like promoting your personal item as spam or something then end up deleting the post.

So possible post maybe just the title and maybe the seller name and I can do a search for it or maybe just PM me the information or maybe a picture of the item?

Thanks.

P.S. This is one I was considering.

156 LED Aquarium Light Multi-Color Full Spectrum Marine 48"-50" Fish Tank Lamp

Features:

156 bright LEDs with 5 colors, full spectrum LEDs and makes phycophyta vivid
3 optional control modes:
All LEDs On / Only Blue LEDs On / Close
Extendable bracket makes LED light fits different size aquariums in extendable range
High-quality LEDs, can be used at least 50000 hrs
If one of the LEDs is not working by being misused, the others would not be affected
(But other cheaper ones will be extinguished lots of LEDs and can't be used any more)
High efficiency, low energy dissipation, save cost, extend LEDs life span
Aluminium alloy shell, much durable than those lights made of plastic
Recommended for both freshwater and saltwater tank
Specification:

Fits for Aquarium Size

45"- 50" Aquarium
White LEDs
132pcs (8000K,0.5w)
Blue LEDs
12pcs (460nm, 0.5W)
Pink LEDs
4pcs (465nm)
Red LEDs
4pcs (625nm)
Green LEDs

4pcs (500nm)

Adaptor Power

Input:100-240V 1.0A
Output:12V 2.6A

Size of One Extendable Bracket
10-3/4"L x 4-1/4"W x 1"H
Overall Size of Light

45-1/2"L x 5"W x 1-1/4"H

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi SpaceLord,

I would pass on it; this is a 48" fixture that only has a 31.2 watt output (2.6A X 12V). I just bought a 36" Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 fixture that has a 46 watt ouput (and it's 12" shorter). The Fluval 2.0 provides me [email protected] at 20" depth with no glass top and [email protected] at 20" depth with a glass Versa-Top; yes those measurements were taken with an Apogee PAR Meter. The Fluval 2.0 has 120 degree lenses for better light dispersion which makes those PAR readings even more impressive. If you are trying to get a decent PAR value at the bottom of your 75 gallon it is doubtful that the Chinese import above will do it. The Fluval 2.0 is dimmable and does have a 'night-time mode' but the five spectrum's of light are not individually controllable; the unit is completely waterproof and comes with a three (3) year warranty and there is an 800 number for their customer service in MA. Ken's Fish currently has a 15% special on Fluval; Coupon Code = fluval

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi SpaceLord,

I would pass on it; this is a 48" fixture that only has a 31.2 watt output (2.6A X 12V). I just bought a 36" Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 fixture that has a 46 watt ouput (and it's 12" shorter). The Fluval 2.0 provides me [email protected] at 20" depth with no glass top and [email protected] at 20" depth with a glass Versa-Top; yes those measurements were taken with an Apogee PAR Meter. The Fluval 2.0 has 120 degree lenses for better light dispersion which makes those PAR readings even more impressive. If you are trying to get a decent PAR value at the bottom of your 75 gallon it is doubtful that the Chinese import above will do it. The Fluval 2.0 is dimmable and does have a 'night-time mode' but the five spectrum's of light are not individually controllable; the unit is completely waterproof and comes with a three (3) year warranty and there is an 800 number for their customer service in MA. Ken's Fish currently has a 15% special on Fluval; Coupon Code = fluval
Thank you for the great information. I will seriously considering buying this one. Also, thanks for the coupon code.

I was wondering, this shows as •Color Temperature: 7500K however I though that aquarium planted needed 6500K?

Also, I read that it has like 252 led lights between 46 watts.

Would that factor into like .19 watts per light? It sounds like it could cover a large surface area of the tank but I am not sure if it would go down deep enough?

I know the one on Ebay was .5 Watt per light however far less lights.

What do you think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
"What is the best Ebay(a.k.a Chinese) LED lighting system on Ebay?"

In my opinion, the answer to your question is "false". In other words, I wouldn't purchase an Ebay fixture.

This is for several reasons -

The total lack of replacement parts. Most other lighting systems, like T5s, can be repaired with odd the shelf parts. This isn't true with most LED fixturers. You need to get the parts from the manufacturer.

You have no ideal what quality and type of parts are going into the product. Just because it's an LED fixture doesn't mean it's any good. If may not have a good spectrum or output too little light.

Such items usually have serious limitations, as pointed out by @Seattle_Aquarist above.

I think your better off getting one of the known name brand fixturers that you see a lot of others using, or do a DIY project getting the parts and putting it together the way you want.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Thank you for the great information. I will seriously considering buying this one. Also, thanks for the coupon code.

I was wondering, this shows as •Color Temperature: 7500K however I though that aquarium planted needed 6500K?

Also, I read that it has like 252 led lights between 46 watts.

Would that factor into like .19 watts per light? It sounds like it could cover a large surface area of the tank but I am not sure if it would go down deep enough?

I know the one on Ebay was .5 Watt per light however far less lights.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Hi SpaceLord,

Plants are able to photosynthesize using light from throughout the visible spectrum and beyond at both ends. However plants are most efficient photosynthesizing using 450 - 500nm (blue) and 650 - 700nm (red) neither of which are 6500K which is about the spectrum of light at noon at the equator. Personally I like my light a little 'cooler' than 6500K and typically have used florescent tubes that are 8800K to 9350K which tends to make the red colors "POP". The 7500K of then Fluval 2.0 is good enough for me.

Actually we do not know the wattage of the LEDs used in the Fluval 2.0. What we do know is there are 252 of them and they are being "driven" at 46 watts; LEDs are never driven at full ratings (i.e. 0.5 watts / 3.0 watts / 5.0 watts etc) because it drastically shortens the life expectancy. Interestingly the 156 LEDs in the China fixture are being driven with approximately 0.20 watts (basically the same as the Fluval 2.0 - there are just a lot less of them in the China fixture).

The real key of course is the PAR readings (light intensity) at various depths and how well that light is dispersed throughout the tank. For example my 75 gallon is about 21" tall, I have 3" of substrate, so my substrate level is about 18" depth. The Fluval 2.0 will give me in excess of [email protected] which according to Tom Barr would be considered low/medium light. In comparison, a new 96 watt Power Compact 8800K lamp in an MIRO 4 reflector (AH Supply) provides about [email protected] at the 20" depth.

I am actually using the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 on my 30 gallon (36" long) tank. There it is providing [email protected] at the substrate level. I will do a review of the Fluval 2.0 as soon as I can get some time.

·
Registered
289 Posts
In China fish only tanks are still predominant so most lights are made for that. With so many lights squeezed into the housing and no controller you can bet it'll lack penetration.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi houseofcards,

Good find, thank you! It really does pay for us to do our homework...Wow a whole 30 day warranty could they make it any shorter?

Interesting, Ken's Fish has the Fluval 2.0 48" for $185.99; after 15% off $158.09 no tax & free shipping...I think that is less expensive than the subject fixture!

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Hey Seattle,

Your definitely right about the OP referenced light.

I read just a handful of the reviews and several stated that it's too dim for plants. Here's one such review:

"Light arrived on time. But this light is NOT for a planted tank as the description states i had to return it. Great light for fish only though. Though you will have to buy a whole new light when the leds start to go out"

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I did a rather amateurish review of 3 low cost led lights.
The Yescom was by far the best.
With Jeffkrols help the PAR was also determined.
34 PAR I believe it was.
Also that review was incorrect as this light is NOT a one LED goes they all go board and it WILL grow plants and does. (I was not sure myself at first but Jeffkroll was correct).

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Either way this would put your aquarium in the low light range for plants.
That PAR was @ 12" I am not convinced that's low light plants only given the light bending qualities of a full tank vs dry test outside of tank.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
The OP is talking about a 48" light. I'm doubtful the tank is 12". Of course we can put it on a shallow tank and grow more plants, but typically speaking with a normal height tank this is low light.

·
Registered
13,146 Posts
The OP is talking about a 48" light. I'm doubtful the tank is 12". Of course we can put it on a shallow tank and grow more plants, but typically speaking with a normal height tank this is low light.
You can't state that w/out knowing the true output..
Problem w/ these lights is they list it as .5W diodes..
As an example
Running 156 .5W diodes AT .5W would put 78W of output over the tank..
At 50-100lumens per watt (typical efficiency range) 3900 to 7800 lumens over a tank..Certainly NOT low light.

now considering they, at best, are running the diodes themselves at say.. .2W and considering an average efficiency of 75L/W 2340 lumens..
Still not really "low" light"
About one t8 but w/ the added benefit of better "directional-ity" and about a 2x multiplier factor because of that...
That would push the "efficiency" up to one t5HO............

now if they use .1w emitters. yes, low light..

for high tech,CO2 injected.. low light.. for low tech tank.. err higher than low light.

48" RayII w/ 39W and 384 LED's (0.10W/per diode) has a PAR of 73 @ 18"

at the same efficiency that would make 30PAR at 18" for the light in question..
HUH, Oddly enough this re-calculation actually matches my first one.. ;)
It is of better build than my cheapest aquaneat but does not match the Yescom MULTISPEC 156 LED.
2000 lux x .015 = 30 PAR.
Based on his lux measurement and a "conversion" guesstimate...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/1027674-3-low-cost-led-light-review-6.html
http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/conversion-ppf-to-lux/

Only a PAR meter will tell for sure though..

Oh and "best" Chinese "freshwater" LED's, in my opinion.. DSunY...............

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
You can't state that w/out knowing the true output..

Actually I can. I have the 24" one and it doesn't grow much on a 20G. It's very limited. Which is what the 24" one is designed for. Using two 18watt CFL bulbs in a clam shell is noticeably brighter and grows more plants and things like Blyxa get some color. I don't need PAR measurement to confirm that, sorry

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.