The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know that ppm = Parts per million, a common unit of measure.

But still I do not get how much I CO2 30 ppm is ...

I'm fighting some black brush algea and I've been recommended to use 30 ppm of CO2..

Thanks,

Johnny

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
CO2 isn't an anti BBA agent. You need to kill it or remove it. CO2 is for healthy plants and healthy plants usually reign in algae.

As for the ppm question, you can use the drop checker to give you a visual indication if you have 30ppm. Most experienced plant keepers can just look at the plants and fish to guess how much CO2 they have.

ps. CO2 in air is measured in ppm by volume and in water it is measured in ppm by weight.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Parts Per Whatever is Convenient

ppm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply on both subjects. I thought that maybe that ppm was related to how many bubbles of CO2 pr min or something like that, but I'll get a drop checker.

As for the BBA, the easy fix for me is to remove it, but I would really love to know how to kill it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
bubbles per minute are just a bubble count of how much CO2 your set up is offering to the water.
It is another question as to how much of those bubbles are actually getting dissolved into the water. That is where ppm comes in.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yes, make sure you're dissolving the CO2 into the water. Some sort of diffusion device is used for that and ppm quantifies how many molecule of the stuff is in the water.

There are several methods to kill BBA
1. use Hydrogen Peroxide. Don't use more than 2ml/Gallon of it in the water. It can kill fish an plants.
2. use excel or something equivalent in Europe. It's the carbon supplement whose main ingredient is Glutaraldehyde. Double the dosage. In addition to being a supplement, it also is an excellent algaecide. Again, it could kill fish and plants if overused.

The BBA should turn red when it's dead.

·
Registered
634 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts