The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im just wondering what is power sand and how do you use it with ada aqua soil, does it go under

thanks
craig

·
Registered
214 Posts
The mystery of powersand....

Well, we know its rich in nutrient, contain some peat, some inert porous material, and organic stuff (probably sphagnum moss).

By all the other thread, I think, peat and organic is a small proportion to quick start bacterial activity.

The bacter 100 can be replace by any mulm from an established aquarium.

My idea to reproduce this is:
Mix some red natural clay with laterite and porous material (soilmaster)
You can add a small amount of fritted elements and a small amount of peat. You can add a small amount of crush marble (for some calcium carbonate for the bacteries).
Even a small amount of rare earth just to be crazy.

You should be able to poke the stuff easily with the hole you make not filling up.

Put one inch of that stuff in the bottom of the tank, spread sparsely some sphagnum moss (you should still see your PowerHomeMade Sand under.

On top 1 inch of top soil follow by 2 to 3 inches of Soilmaster
(personally I will mix soilmaster with some laterite, inert sand (same size Soilmaster and maybe a small amount of black or gray crush marble) I don’t like the uniform look and like to have more nutrient in there.

Before all that you try a test with all that crap in the same proportion it will be in your tank in a measurable amount of distilled water and see how it affect the water column.
Add or take out stuff until your happy with the water testing.

I will try this in a big tank coming my way soon.

And yes, I’m insane

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats a cool idea to make your own... on ada's site there i saw they had the different size power sand.. and then the special... what is the diff between the special and the regular

·
Registered
214 Posts
Special and reg.

Power Sand SPECIAL provides more minerals and nutrients to the substrate. It also contains Bacter 100 and Clear Super, so these important additives do not need to be purchased separately as with regular Power Sand
And a little bit of desoxyribonucleique fritted rare elements. :hihi:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts