The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to start with but am little confused on what my lighting situation would be classified as, ie. Low, Medium or High Light.

I have a 75g tank with a dual bulb t5ho CoralLife (2 x 54w, 1 - 6700k and 1 - 10,000k bulb) that is about 21 inches off the substrate. The reflector looks to be formed around the bulbs to where if I look form above it I see a reflection of 6 bulbs.

Also I just added a Paintball C02 system to it and am confused on what plants would be safe for me to try. Dont want to spend the money on plants that need high light but not be able to supply what is needed.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's high light. You definitely need to keep up with the CO2 and fertilizer to avoid too much algae. I've got a similar light that high above my 80g and it's more than enough light to grow anything I've tried.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Also I just added a Paintball C02 system to it and am confused on what plants would be safe for me to try. Dont want to spend the money on plants that need high light but not be able to supply what is needed.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
I think you are going to spend money refilling that paintball co2 system for the size tank you have. I use a 20lb co2 tank on my 47 gal.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Lighting Question

Good morning xx...

I keep large, low tech, low light tanks. Watts up to 1 per gallon of tank volume is considered low. 1 to 1.5 watts is moderate, up to 2.5 watts is strong and anything over 2.5 is bright. That's the latest range information I have. The range changes a little depending on your source.

With the lighting you have and the addition of CO2, you'll likely have success growing most of the plants on the market.

Algae is always a concern with strong lighting. But, if you follow a sound tank maintenance routine that includes changing half the tank water weekly and servicing your filter equipment, you'll have a nice looking tank.

B

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a similar light fixture on my 75g raised 9" above waters surface. I also have pressurized co2 on this tank. Lights are on 8 hours a day. Raise the light and you'll be fine as long as you keep up with the co2.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have only had the co2 running for about a week now and so far the needle hasnt moved. It is not planted densly by any means and the main focal point of my tank is suppose the fish (Lake Tang Cichlids) but like the looks of a little green in there and thinking of doing some kind of background of live plants, along with sometype of carpeting plant for about 1/3 of the substrate.

So after a week of running at 1bps I have not seen the needle on the gauge move yet on the regulator, and my drop checker is staying green. According to where I got it from at 1bps I should expect at least several months of service from a 24 oz co2 tank.

If my drop checker is staying a green color there is no reason I should add more CO2, correct? Is there an adapter to fit a paintball fitting to a standard CO2 tank? I do have a 5lb for our kegerator that I could prob get my hands on after deer season but would prefer to leave that one where it is for those thirsty weekends :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also as far ferts are concerned, I have really hard water here with the DKH of KHis upwards of 14 degrees hardness, with that being said, could i get by with just CSM+B, KNO3, and H2PO4?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'd love pics of the tank. I have 125g tank with multi's and BCWP's that I have planted some also. It's been set up w/PFS, no CO2 but excel added daily, Rootmedic tabs as ferts, 1x80w T5HO 5" above waters surface, sump, AC110 and xP4 filtration. I've been fighting algae since 5/11, just this month algae is almost all gone :) Not sure how long that will last. Anyway...pics please....

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on this. The bubble counter I had at the time was letting out huge bubbles, and that PB tank would only last a couple weeks before needing a refill. Now with a JBJ style BC i am running about 3-4 bps into a Aqua Medic 1000 reactor to keep the DC green. Intalled the 5lb tank on the Friday after Thanksgiving and notice the PSI starting to drop yesterday. Hoping it will last until thursday when I get paid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a note on cost when considering a larger co2 tank. In my area it is actually cheaper to go paintball compared to a 10lb tank. Other than the hassle of more frequent refills it is not always a given that bigger will be cheaper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.