The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a fluval edge 6.6 gallon. It's been running since April without any problems whatsoever.
However, since my recent venture into DIY co2 I've been losing a few shrimp here and there. Not all at once but one every week or so.

My water parameters:
Ph:7.6-7.2
Ammonia:0-0.25ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:0-0.5ppm
Kh:3.5 dkh
Gh:8 d

My temperature sits between 26-27.5 C and I've been keeping up with water changes. I have one amano and one ghost shrimp but previously had a few cherries and ghost shrimp who have lived happily in my tank for the last few months. My other tank inhabitants consist of three male guppies.
I've been cautious of ph fluctuations (using a drop checker) and o2 deprivation (using an airstone at night). I also have a 1L reactor with little yeast to produce low amounts of gas & using a chopstick to diffuse. My fish and snails are doing fine. I've been researching for days and hours and reading everything I can on the topic but I'm wondering if other people have had similar experiences and can offer some advice or knowledge.

Please let me know if I'm leaving any details out..I'm just desperate to know what I'm doing wrong :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for all the helpful information. In my history of water tests my ammonia was always at 0 but this time it was a bit darker than the API 0 mark. I'm guessing it could also be the inconsistency of DIY co2 that has been harming my shrimp too.. I was just always confused since my drop checker would never go past dark green and my fish were fine. I've read in several places that ph swings aren't actually harmful since they do not affect the water's mineral content..which also left me confused due to my shrimps dying off.

As for temperature, I unfortunately do not have ac but do my best to keep it cool. Are high temperatures a common shrimp killer? I think that's how I may have lost my two crs during our heat wave :frown:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think if you read the posts on the dying shrimp, you will find it can be a variety of causes.

I had ghost shrimp and they slowly died off in 1 month.

I bought cherry reds and they died off in 5 days.

I keep debating if it is heat or some toxin in my tanks.

Everything else lives happy in the tank.

It might be a little of both for me. I'll wait until then Temperature in Florida drops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.