The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a plant from walmart that had been floating in their tank for about a week. It was still alive so I assumed if it would live in WalMart conditions, it would live in my tank. After doing some reading, I decided to take it out of the pot and cotton, and began sticking it here, there and everywhere. There was quite a bit of it!!

I'm just not sure what it is. I have 2 watts per gallon at the moment, with 8 ghost shrimps, and a few guppies. Thinned it out around the tank some more and it's just going nuts. All sorts of new roots sprouting EVERYWHERE. I just have no idea what it is.

Not a great pic, but the best I could get atm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh cool, thanks :) Think I'll put some in with my bettas. I'm rather overwhelmed with it - it didn't look like so many plants in that little pot. I was wrong.

Should I buy fertilizer for it? It's in sand and it's obviously doing well on its own!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looks like Rotala rotundifolia to me, not bacopa. Almost like it is going from the emersed to submersed state. I could be wrong, though.
Agree. Looks a lot like Rotala, but the leaves are a little bit rounder, probably from being grown emersed. Bacopa stems are usually thicker and very straight.

I love rotala rotundifolia, when they are close to the top and the light source the leaves turn reddish and look great. They grow fast!

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed a few of the leaves are turning a red color. n__n So I am to assume the 'roots' are actually stems? In which case, yeah I definately better start dividing it amongst aquariums. o__O

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
The white "strings" are aerial roots. It is natural for stems to get them. I read in "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" you will have more aerial roots in slower moving water. Never tested this, though. You can trim them off if you do not like them. Do not be afraid to trim this plant, it branches quickly. Leave the trimmed part in the soil, and it'll also send off side shoots. This is one of my favorite plants. There are so many rotala variations out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts