The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering what everyone keeps in their fish medicine cabinet. What medicines do you find most useful in a planted tank?

Does anyone treat new fish prior to putting them in the display tank? If so with what?

I ask these questions because when I purchased guppies (8) for my brand new planted tank all but one have died over a 3 week period. I have a few babies that were born before the mother's died that are still alive. I am not convinced my tank is disease free from whatever they came in with but I will be wanting to get more fish in the future. I want to figure out if and how to treat my display (planted) tank before I add new fish and I am wondering if I should treat any new fish with something in a quarantine tank before I put them in the display tank. I now have a hospital/quarantine tank.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
usually i wont treat my tank unless it can affect the whole community, so i rarely keep any medicines in my cabinet, i still have some Maracyn 2 after my columnaris attack but i don't believe i will need it again. i usually let nature take the wheel with my fish, also i find it more cost effective to buy new fish as opposed to treating my current one, ecspecially with smaller fish like neon tetras.

To treat the entire tank (with no fish in it) drain all the water, if its a dirted substrate get new dirt and gravel (not too expensive). To treat the plants i usually put them in tap water. I doesnt seem to harm the plants but it kills all the bacteria and such on them that could harm any fish. Then give the tank a hose down and set it up again. also clean out and or change filter media if you want to go that far and are willing to recycle the tank. Also if your fish are no longer showing signs of the disease or whatever you were fighting, theres a good chance it is gone.

In your quarentine tank you dont have to treat them with anything until you see any diseases or parasites.

This is what i find works for me, some people may disagree and or have other opinions, but this is what i would and have done.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I haven't had to treat disease in years. All I have at the moment are some melafix, pimafix, and ridich I've used in the past.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dont keep medicine in my cabinet , i was always told not to because they go out of date and are expencive. I have never needed medicine so i cant say wich is the most useful but i have heard about milafex - Spelled right? - or something like that i hear is good but im dont know first hand.
I put them in the quarantine for a few weeks to see if they have any ilness and if so treat them for it. Quarantine tanks are a savior!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have treated my planted tank with Rid Ich which is malachite green and formalin. No adverse effects on my plants and seemed to resolved the issue with my fish. Formalin is supposed to be safe for plants. It is expensive to treat an entire tank. Depending on the fish you are keeping it may be cheaper to let nature take its course like ADJ said.

I keep rid ich, methylene blue, potassium permanganate (for cleaning or sanitizing, plants or equipment) and salt. I would keep 100% formalin if I could still find it. I have collected some other stuff over the years but it is probably expired. I wouldn't say I "keep" it I just have it.

What did the guppy die of? If you suspect parasites, most parasites need hosts so if all the fish are removed from the tank for about a month maybe less any parasites would probably die without any treatment. But that would only work if you know what you introduced was a parasite that required a host.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I keep salt on hand for my puffers tank. He is more susceptible to ick since he has a constant flow of new fish through his tank.

Other then that, I agree with another poster who said it's too expensive to treat larger tanks. If I had something super expensive in the tank it would be a different story.

·
Discus freak
928 Posts
I quarantine new fish before putting them in my tanks, i always deworm all of my fish for safety precautions..

Medicines I keep are metro for worms and Epsom salt for bloating.

- oz

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The only things I keep on hand are aquarium salt and clove oil, though the latter is for euthanizing rather than treatment.

Used to keep a variety of meds around, til I realized they were inevitably expiring right before I needed them--triggering another expensive trip to the store--and that simply staying on top of my maintenance and water quality, carrying a less than capacity bio-load and designing to ensure a low-stress environment for the fish did as much, if not more, than meds ever could to keep things healthy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only thing in my fish medicine cabinet up until November was the water testing kit. If something came up during quarantine, I went out and got something for it. The livebearer fiasco with camullanus has driven me to stock up on a variety of meds, just in case. Since I'm converting the 38 over to be suitable for livebearers, I'll probably find a use for them as more potential breeders find their way into my hospital tank upon purchase.

Before my recent experience with the worms, it had been so long since I'd had fish disease, that they discontinued at least two products I used! Motto: your luck runs out sometime!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I had a massive outbreak of Callamanus worms in guppies too. It can easily slip by a month of quarantine without any visible symptoms. Once in all my tanks, it killed off my fish for three months before I saw the first worm - and I was looking for them.

Only Levamisole kills it. Other wormers are ineffective. I keep a bottle in the fridge, and now use it for all new fish without exception.

Other medications I prefer to use only as actually needed.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Tetracycline, peroxide, neosporin, kanamycin, erythromycin, jungle anti fungal. A quinine, HCL formaldehyde agent for pond fish.

I rarely use them but it's good to have stuff that treats common illness on hand.

Also a book on treatment/identifying fish disease.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I have full cabinet (literally - it's an antique jelly cabinet) with antibiotics, anti fugals, and parasite meds, aquarium salt, clove oil, and probably other stuff I can't remember. I like to have them on hand if I need them, which isn't all that often but you never know.

I treat any live bearers I get for parasites while in quarantine - the rest of the fish I don't medicate in quarantine unless I see problems.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Never used medicine in any of my tanks. Had only one ich problem from the 40B tank couple years ago. I used salt and heat to combat the whole tank with the outbreak. Since then, nada (knock on wood).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.