The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a lot of eating going on with my sunset hygro. The plants are still growing and all but the plants that are bit get deformed and it's unsightly.
Here is my stock
-5 small/medium anglefish
-2 platinum gouramies
-1 honey gouramie
-2 asian bumblebees catfish? Not sure their name but I've had them for a long time and I don't think they are the culprits
-1 coohli(how is it spelled lol) loach
- anddd countless ramshorn snails

Attachments

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
Are the ramshorn snails the mini variety, or the big ones? The mini is not equipped to do that kind of damage, unless the leaf is dying. The big ones probably could.

It is likely to be a fish since the damage begins at the perimeters. Things like snails and plecos can start anywhere on the leaf, fish typically start on the edges.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I agree the snails are probably not the culprits but the Gourami may be,take a time when your not busy and fish have not been fed and quietly sit and observe,maybe you can catch them in the act and send them to their room for some down time lol

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The damage is probably from the Angels.

Some people have problems with Angels eating plants, some don't. Not sure if they just like certain soft plants or if they are eating plants to obtain nutrients that their fish food isn't providing. Leaning more towards wanting the nutrition they are lacking from their diet.

Try feeding a higher quality food. New Life Spectrum is one of the best (I prefer Thera A formula, or Finicky Fish formula, but regular is fine)

Many fish species that normally don't touch plants may resort to munching on plants if they are starving.

Snails and some fish will eat at decaying areas of plants, but this doesn't seem to be the case for yours.

For the names of the fish, coohli is spelled "Kuhli" for the common name (more in depth there is only one Pangio kuhli species, others are a different Pangio species).
The Asian bumblebee catfish is the correct common name, assuming Pseudomystus siamensis is the fish you are referring too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The snails are about the size of a pinky finger nail.
The honey gouramie does get pushed around a little bit by the other fish so I'm thinking it ight be him because of lack of food.
I am feeding omega one at the moment.
I think I might remove the gouramie and start a 10 gall community.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.