The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm thinking it was the snails.

The rest of the plant (at least what I can see in the pic) looks healthy, and the damage appears to be mechanical in nature, not due to rotting.

I've rarely seen snails go for healthy plant tissue, but if the tank is pretty clean and there isn't enough algae or fallen fish food to keep them satisfied, then they can resort to eating leaves.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sounds like the snails need to be dealt with. You have several different ways you could do this.

Option A is a little extreme, but...You can kill snails by using a product meant to kill planaria, if I recall correctly, but you'll need to do a big fat water change (probably several over a week time) to prevent an ammonia spike if there are a lot of them. This will fix the problem, but isn't always safe if you have other inverts or sensitive fish. I'd actually do this only as a last resort if all else fails.

Option B, which is by far the safest, is manual removal, either by hunting and smushing as many as you can, and/or by setting a trap baited with an algae wafer or some blanched green vegetables. This won't get rid of all of them, but it will keep them in check (if you are very diligent).

Option C, which is the one I've personally gone with, is get a snail predator, if you have a sufficient size tank and nothing that could be a problem with one. I had a PLAGUE of pond snails in my 60g, but my yoyos ate them ALL in like two weeks, and they keep the trumpet snails at a reasonable level. A group of assassin snails (1 assassin for every 3 to 5 gallons seems to be good) will also do a decent job, albeit slower, and is better in a small tank or if you have fish that aren't compatible with loaches or other snail-snacking fish. This isn't a good option if you have nerites or other "nice" snails though.

I'm sure there are other options I'm forgetting, but those are what came to mind.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've tried a lot of ways to deal with pond snails I have a 40b with 2 harlequin rasbora's and 2 CPD. I feed very little every couple days. I've pulled hundreds of snails out and gave them away. I can get the numbers low but never get rid of them entirely. I've tried assassin snails and they just die off.
I had good success years and years ago with yoyo loachs but can't find any type of loach locally other then clown.
I've given up trying to get rid of them.

Sorry to hijack the thread just my buce looks the same.

Here's a pic hard to get the angle

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im 100% sure im not killing nothing, this ecosystem was once balanced enough for snails not to eat my plants. I might have less food circulating and the niche got unbalanced somehow.

I started dosing calcium pellets for shrimps and the snail loves it. My buce is fine again.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.