The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Is there such an animal? The BEST choice? LOL.
It all depends on what attributes you are looking for. Ease of use, lack of tannins, particular style etc.
Malaysian driftwood is nice but a lot of tannins and tends to be in chunks rather than long branching pieces.
Mopani doesn't float and sinks right away due to density etc has MASSIVE amount of tannins but on the plus side will not rot.
Most other driftwood types species indeterminate take forever to get waterlogged. (I am going on 2 months soaking with a nice piece of cedar apparently that will not blanking sink.
That has been my experience thus far I am sure there are others with greater knowledge than I that can weigh in!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
For a discus tank you want to avoid anything with sharp points or heavy branching to avoid injury to your very expensive fish,I use Malaysian for that reason.What other specs are you thinking of like substrate,lighting and plant mass ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put white pool sand in the 75 gal. and did order three Malaysian driftwoods which I steamed yesterday (boiled) for 2 hours. The water is pretty clear and looks ok. I also fastened the three pieces together with plastic rods so when I plant or syphon, hopefully won't knock them about. I have on order an LED with fan fixture as the set up my 75 gal came with was not adequate. Lighting (was) is a dilema as to WHAT brand, type etc. I hope to do one amazon sword, val, the moss and fern that attaches to driftwood for starter. I am still cycling the tank of course and hope to get 30 cardinal tetra first and then 6-7 ? discus. They are my dream fish. A friend told me that Cardinals carry diseases they are emmune to but discus may not be but I don't have a quarantine tank set up so hope I am not in for issues and problems down the road? I love planted tanks and did several years ago but winged it and not sure how I did that not paying attention to test kits like I am learning now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.