The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my tank up and running for 3 years. Over the weekend I took out all the plants, rearranged the drift wood, and added more sand (only drained half the water). I also added a 2nd filter. So would my tank still be classified as established? All my fish and shrimp looked to be happy.:bounce:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I have learned to not put shrimp into a tank less than three months old.
They act really starved when you feed them if the tank is less than that in
age. It would seem that you have re-newed most everything in there except for the old filter. If the fish are acting healthy and the plants get growing well...then
it wuld follow that the tank is healthy. But with the new sand/plants...I would not add any shrimp for at least 3 months.
Trying to put any label like "established" seems to serve no purpose here.
It is a healthy tank. So far...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I don't think my last post was clear.

I took out the plants just to rearrange them, then I put them back in. I already had sand in the tank, I just added more of the same sand to create hills. So everything in the tank was already there, only thing new is a few pounds of sand. I am adding more plants in the next week to change the look a bit. I also scooped out most the duck weed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should be just fine, but have you tested for ammonia & nitrites just to be sure they have remained @ '0' ?
Yes, everything is just how it was before, the water just looks more clear. :thumbsup: But that's probably from all the batting I have in the newly added 2nd filter.

Not sure if it means anything, but my fish are more active now and not hiding all the time. Not sure that cause, but it's nice!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The statement about the shrimp is because the fry eat micro bugs found in the micro algae that is on everything in an established tank. You may still have some of it left.
If you put back the original plants, they still have some on them also.
They do have technical terms for the algae and things the fry eat but I don't remember those names. But after what you just described I'd say it is still established.
Really as long as the old filter was not messed/w in any serious way, the tank should be better than before. Just that you might have lost a small amount of the BB when you covered the old sand. Actually if the water doesn't get cloudy in the next couple of days, you didn't loose enough to matter any.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know thank you. I'm adding amano and bamboo shrimp, and I know they can't breed so not worried about fry. I only have about 12+- RCA's and plan to rehome so I can add rams. Was just trying to figure out if I can order my shrimp now or have to wait.

Y'all are awesome, thank you for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.