The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 36" twin tube T12 or a 36" twin tube T5 better for a planted tank?
I know the T5 is 21W and the T12 is 30W. I need to order one or the other and want to get the most for my money.
Thanks
Gene

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 30 gal 36 x 12 x 18 high. I haven't totally decided on plants yet but I know Swords, Ludwigia, Water Sprite and Dwarf Sag to start. Sounds like I will be better off with the T5 even though it's less Watts. I will also have a single 36" T12 which I already have. Will use a glass top. Gravel with Laterite substrate, no CO2 but will use Excell.
Gene

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's not the wattage that you should be concerned about it's the lumens per watt. The T5 gives out more lpw than the T12 for sure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you go with Sunlight Supply's Teks T5's, those are High Outputs, which are 39w per bulb for the 36 incher..That is what Im running on my 46g bowfront...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It's not the wattage that you should be concerned about it's the lumens per watt. The T5 gives out more lpw than the T12 for sure.
They both matter. You could have an insanely high lumens/watt but if you only have a 1 watt light then you aint got enough. If the bulbs were the same the two would put out about the same amount of light, but since the T5 is more effecient it draws less power to put out the same amount of light. And like everyone always says lumens arent a good measure of light for plants, so dont make any big decisions based on lumens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts