The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing people talking about Nano tanks, but I can't seem to find anything on google that explains what it is. Is it a brand of tank? A style of tank? If you could point me to a link that would explain it, or tell me about them yourself, I'd appreciate it. Everyone seems so enthusiastic... and from the little I can tell it seems like small plant or reef systems so I am interested in getting one myself if I can find out more about it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
"Nano" is a real term (it's in the dictionary & everything :icon_bigg ), that simply means "small" or "dwarf" (i.e. nanosecond, nanotechnology). So a nano tank is simply a very small tank.

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
Don't know if there is an official definition, but I consider anything smaller than 10 gal a "Nano tank".

Nature of the beast is that Nanos are more difficult to keep stable, and conditions are usually fluctuating more than in bigger tanks, which stresses any inhabitants.

If you are new to fish keeping, it would be better to start with a 30 or 55 gal tank than with a Nano.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a brand of tank by JBJ called a Nano cube which is 12 gallons. Nano is also a term used for any small tank.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Yup, just means a small tank in general. The size of it really depends on the application also. JBJ calls their 12-gallon a nanocube. This is quite different from what a reefkeeper would call nano. In reefkeeping, anything smaller than 30-gallon is considered a nanoreef.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts