The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my mosses grow fine , but i have a few tanks that it just isnt growing as well as the others. sometimes browning and dying. any suggestions on something i could add that would be invert safe?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Most brand ferts and DIY dry ferts are pretty invert-safe, in my opinion. Unless you dose large amounts of copper and other metals, then it's not safe. By the way, what is the temp of the tank? Mosses usually like cool temps around 74 F, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
cool temps and water flow. and free floating not attached to something.

I have a small hob refuge that plumbs back into my main planted tank. has 2 shrimp in there. free floating moss jungle and it grows plenty fast as well. around 76-78 degrees.

I have about 3 basket ball sized moss clumps free floating in a 120g gold fish tank, bare bottom with plenty of flow. Started out with a small bouncy ball sized trim from one of my other tanks. tank is around 72-74 degrees, plenty of junk from the gold fish.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
some mosses just grow slower than others as well. take fissidens for example. free floating or not it just takes for ever to grow

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
some mosses just grow slower than others as well. take fissidens for example. free floating or not it just takes for ever to grow
Fissidens grows like a weed for me compared to my other mosses even without CO2 injection.

As for OP's question, I use Rootmedic (Anyone else remember them?) Macros and Micros once a week for my mosses. The crypts either get Rootmedic capsules or homemade clay root tabs.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've found that the dry ferts typically used with EI dosing raise TDS dramatically, especially the salt based ones like K2SO4. For that reason I would start small and measure TDS to ensure whatever you choose doesn't have the same effect.

HTH,
Whiskey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts