The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a good friend of mine, who works at a LFS I go to..told me I should come in and check something out....Normally he knows what I'm interested/looking for and gives me heads up on shipments... Well he said someone dropped off a fish and if they would have called ahead of time we would have refused...this sparked my attention, because this place sells restricted fish and reptiles...so if they turned it down, it must be interesting. The next day I head over, and my buddy is there and he lit up, and pulled me over to this aquarium where I see this 3 1/2 foot Alligator Gar that someone didn't want anymore. Needless to say...I didn't buy it, but it was an incredible fish to see and i hope it finds a good home.

What crazy fish have you seen at your LFS...I'm sure there are ones that top this,so i'd love to hear them.

W

·
Registered
223 Posts
I really like the Green Dragon Longfins. I know they aren't the rarest fish in the world, but they are amazing to look it. I broke down and bought one even though I didn't need one, it was beautiful. This one is great with white tips on the fins. Locally breed.

Other than that:
Salt Water Sting Rays

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm not sure how rare freshwater flounder are but it was the first one I've ever seen at my lfs the other day, I thought it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It is not an Lfs, per say, but there is a better than average petco about 45 minutes from my house that carries some unusual fish - odessa barbs, the dwarf danios, blue eyed rice fish, thread fin rainbows, bumble bee gobies, and even the occasional stiphodon goby.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The LFS 10 minutes from me always has tons of rare fish, fresh and saltwater. The one guy there specializes in African cichlids but I don't know too much about them. He gets in all kids of wilds from Africa on a weekly basis. The had blue pearl shrimp a few weeks ago which I was very surprised to see. Too bad their prices are through the roof.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Dawn tetra's that I thought would look nice, until they began terrorizing every fish in the tank.
And I thought serpae tetra's were fin nipper's.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a cichlid sorry forget his name, when he gets excited all of his blue strips and his face turn dark black all in a couple seconds its amazing to see a fish change colors so fast , he is about half changed in this pic normally he is a lot lighter in color

here is a second pic he is a fast fish so its hard to get pics of him, more normal color here not excited.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
So a good friend of mine, who works at a LFS I go to..told me I should come in and check something out....Normally he knows what I'm interested/looking for and gives me heads up on shipments... Well he said someone dropped off a fish and if they would have called ahead of time we would have refused...this sparked my attention, because this place sells restricted fish and reptiles...so if they turned it down, it must be interesting. The next day I head over, and my buddy is there and he lit up, and pulled me over to this aquarium where I see this 3 1/2 foot Alligator Gar that someone didn't want anymore. Needless to say...I didn't buy it, but it was an incredible fish to see and i hope it finds a good home.

What crazy fish have you seen at your LFS...I'm sure there are ones that top this,so i'd love to hear them.

W
I've seen baby alligator gars and the two LFS nearby... 8" maybe. As tempted as I am, I don't have the space for 10k gallons needed to keep a full grown alligator gar.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
There are no lfs left around here, large stores pushed them out, nearest I know of is 2 hours drive x.x. We have a Petco and a Petsmart... both think its fine to give 'algae eaters' regular tropical flake food....
The Petco by me had some new additions around their fish sale time including electric blue german rams, golden wonder killies, blind cave tetras? (or some eye-less schooling fish), also a blue and a vanilla lobster. I saw a galaxy pleco over a year ago but someone bought it before I could get back to grab it after researching which type it was and its needs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My LFS has a $500 zebra pleco that some guy told them he wanted but has yet to show up with the cash after it being there a couple of weeks. Cute little 3 incher and all it does is hide under the driftwood. The guys at the store said I could have it for $400! Uh----- NO THANKS! They said they want to get some Life Insurance on it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine never have anything so I always bulk order online.The prices LFS's charges if I get more than 2 fish the first pays for itself in shippping alone, everything else is a 'deal'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine had a clown knifefish as long as my arm a few weeks ago. I guess they took it in on trade after it outgrew someone's living room. Handsome fish, but too large for my house too!

·
Registered
110 Posts
My LFS has a $500 zebra pleco that some guy told them he wanted but has yet to show up with the cash after it being there a couple of weeks. Cute little 3 incher and all it does is hide under the driftwood. The guys at the store said I could have it for $400! Uh----- NO THANKS! They said they want to get some Life Insurance on it.
Gosh! Maybe they should have had him put some sort of deposit on it first?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These are great! I feel for you all who don't have true LFS in your area. I've been spoiled of having 2 that I frequently visit. And they have things like freshwater stingrays...bamboo sharks.. etc. one thing I have trouble finding is decent shrimp species...though the one LF said they are working on changing that.

W

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's insane what some of these places have...

Adding to the list again...

Payara(vampire tetra)

Freshwater string ray

and my LFS got a new bamboo shark and octopus.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts