The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to start this little thread for people to share any dumb thing (or problem) they have run into when keeping shrimp! Here is my story:

I set up a new shrimp tank about 3 months ago. I let the tank cycle for two months and even added a couple mystery snails to help out. I planted some duck weed as well as several blyxa stems for ground cover. I have several large clumps of java moss for the shrimplets to hide in and 3 large marimo moss balls for them to gather food from. Everything was perfect! The pH stabilized to around 6.4-6.6 (Rather low for not having active substrate). I have dual bio-filter sponge as well as a netted off HOB filter so my water is crystal clear. When I say that everything was perfect, I mean PERFECT! Before I ordered my CRS shrimp I bought 3 RCS just to see how they did before I added over $100 worth of CRS.

Three days in and I could only find two of my shrimp! I looked everywhere in the tank until I found it in one of the small rock caves I had built. He didn't move even when I put him in a net. I watched him for about 30 minutes inside of this net submerged in the water and he just didn't move at all. I was going to feed him to my fish so he didn't go to waste. I was kind of sad but I knew that one of my fish would get a lucky snack! I took him out of the net and placed him in my other fish tank. As soon as he hit the water a fish came and tried to take a bite out of him. He came back to life and started to try to get away! It was a miracle! He was trying his best to get away but he couldn't move his feet! (I will get to that in a second.) I acted fast and scooped him back up into the net before he was devoured by my hungry fish. I placed him back in my shrimp tank thinking he would die soon. He just kind of floated to the bottom, not moving.

After about 30 minutes of watching him he began to twitch his gills. It made me really happy but I knew he would probably die soon. He was moved from 71' water to 85' and then back again, as well as being nibbled on by a fish! I had some hope that he would live. For 3 days he laid upside down twitching every now and again. I thought I was going to lose one of my 3 little shrimp. On the 4th day of him laying in my tank, I picked him up and put him in some of the java moss. He clung on to it the next day and 2 days after that he was eating stuff off the bottom of the tank and just doing what shrimp do. I was so happy! The poor shrimp lived and is doing fine in my tank now:>
After doing some major thinking, this is what I came up with. The shrimp was still growing. The stress of being moved into a new tank when I got him caused him to molt. He was having a hard time molting his feet. I think some snail slime got caught on his feet.... He looked like he was dead but he wasn't! I felt so bad almost killing this poor little guy but in the end he turned out to be just fine. I felt stupid for the fact that I didn't think about him even molting! That is my stupid shrimp mistake. So please feel free to share your stories too! I would love to hear them and who knows! It may keep somebody from making the same mistake you did!

:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst:iamwithst

·
Registered
12 Posts
I made a very similar mistake regarding molting,

I first got 12 cherry shrimps for 20 dollars online and they grew fine. However, I wanted something more exotic

I saved up 55$ and got 10 SS grade CRS and put them in my one gallon tank they were.4 inches when I got them, so quite young.

I over estimated their hardiness by changing their water every week and five of them died.

I panicked and thought it was the water hardness (my tap water is quite hard). So I used my Brita filter water.

At the first water from the Brita yielded very promising results 6.5 pH, almost no hardness, low kH, no chlorine. So i thought i hit a jackpot and began using that water.

Two days later i noticed one of my shrimps failed a molt and died, more followed the day after.

When I had only two shrimps remaining, I got very lucky and got the correct combination

Now i changed 40% of the water every three days and only use my tap water. My two shrimps are now doing very well

However i fear that I may have got two shrimps of the same gender and want reproduce anymore :(

·
Registered
606 Posts
Putting them in a dirted tank. They never seemed too happy. I removed the dirt and what a difference it made.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made a very similar mistake regarding molting,

I first got 12 cherry shrimps for 20 dollars online and they grew fine. However, I wanted something more exotic

I saved up 55$ and got 10 SS grade CRS and put them in my one gallon tank they were.4 inches when I got them, so quite young.

I over estimated their hardiness by changing their water every week and five of them died.

I panicked and thought it was the water hardness (my tap water is quite hard). So I used my Brita filter water.

At the first water from the Brita yielded very promising results 6.5 pH, almost no hardness, low kH, no chlorine. So i thought i hit a jackpot and began using that water.

Two days later i noticed one of my shrimps failed a molt and died, more followed the day after.

When I had only two shrimps remaining, I got very lucky and got the correct combination

Now i changed 40% of the water every three days and only use my tap water. My two shrimps are now doing very well

However i fear that I may have got two shrimps of the same gender and want reproduce anymore :(
Awesome story! Did you ever figure out why the filtered water was killing them?

·
Registered
596 Posts
My biggest mistake was using tap water, that held back my progress in this hobby for about a year. Even Cherry shrimp couldn't live in my 800 TDS water.

Once I got a TDS meter, GH test kit, and RO filter things went much better.

Whiskey

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Putting them in a dirted tank. They never seemed too happy. I removed the dirt and what a difference it made.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
First time hearing this. There are a ton of Shrimp with dirt tank journals here on TPT and on Youtube and they are all thriving. They are mostly RCS though. What shrimp do you have?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First time hearing this. There are a ton of Shrimp with dirt tank journals here on TPT and on Youtube and they are all thriving. They are mostly RCS though. What shrimp do you have?
Same! The pH with a dirted tank would be near perfect. Thats very odd..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome story! Did you ever figure out why the filtered water was killing them?
After researching and testing the Brita Filter appears to filter out calcium and other minerals (most of it). Without these minerals Shrimp will fail the molting process

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a really good filter then! You may want to use that water but add in extra calcium and other minerals like shrimp+

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Overfeeding in one tank. Overselling in another, taking the colony down too much and they had a hard time recuperating from it.
Water changes more than once a week. My tanks are heavily planted and whenever I do a water change it seems to disrupt the community. Also large water changes I found to be bad for the shrimp. Smaller, more frequent ones are better tolerated. I now only change out 10% every other week and the shrimp do better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have found that small water changes work the best too! :>

Overfeeding in one tank. Overselling in another, taking the colony down too much and they had a hard time recuperating from it.
Water changes more than once a week. My tanks are heavily planted and whenever I do a water change it seems to disrupt the community. Also large water changes I found to be bad for the shrimp. Smaller, more frequent ones are better tolerated. I now only change out 10% every other week and the shrimp do better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My mistake was using Floramax as the substrate for my tank. It was my first planted tank. When I set it up, I knew nothing about shrimps or that I was going to keep shrimps in it. It was pretty moderately planted and looked pretty good overall for a first tank. I purchased 10 mid-grade CRS and, stupidly, only tested the gH and kH afterward. My gH was 8-9 and kH was 6-7. Tested the water out of the tap and both gH and kH were right in the range for CRS. I had no idea why the water sky-rockted once it was in my tank. After some research, I read from a few posts on here that apparently some batches of Floramax were contaminated with something calcium-based and it would leach into the water. Once I changed out the substrate with FSS, everything was fine, and the shrimps seem to be doing much better now. More shrimplets and more pregnant shrimps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My mistake was using Floramax as the substrate for my tank. It was my first planted tank. When I set it up, I knew nothing about shrimps or that I was going to keep shrimps in it. It was pretty moderately planted and looked pretty good overall for a first tank. I purchased 10 mid-grade CRS and, stupidly, only tested the gH and kH afterward. My gH was 8-9 and kH was 6-7. Tested the water out of the tap and both gH and kH were right in the range for CRS. I had no idea why the water sky-rockted once it was in my tank. After some research, I read from a few posts on here that apparently some batches of Floramax were contaminated with something calcium-based and it would leach into the water. Once I changed out the substrate with FSS, everything was fine, and the shrimps seem to be doing much better now. More shrimplets and more pregnant shrimps.
Substrate is very important! It weird how things like that can happen though!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not caring about GH. In my experience, GH is more important than PH. Also, another mistake was trying to do too much, causing too many sudden changes and consequently stressing out the shrimps.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I purchased 5 Cherry shrimp from LFS at $4 a pop. Tossed into my community tank and they fish made a meal of them before the shrimp could even figure out what was going on.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Not cycling the tank getting to excited and throwing 50 rcs in there. Tap water. And not understanding it fully before diving into it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
holy crap! i used floramax also and i swear it killed everything i put in the tank! i switched it to my community fish tank and they aren't very happy after months and twice a week water changes. its insane.

my mistake was like everyone basically. used tap with extreme tds, took a couple months to figure that one out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts