The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you keep your gains with the plants just growing slower or do they actually melt back? I was wondering about using CO2 just for the startup/carpeting phase and then removing it to place in another tank so I only have to buy one setup. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
484 Posts
The growth on my Moneywort, Hornwort, SuperRed Ludwigia, Anubus all slowed down greatly which is fine with me. They were getting pretty unruly way too fast and needed a lot of trimming. It seems like my Dwarf hairgrass just stopped growing... but maybe it is just growing really slow.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Depends on your plants. Most low maintenance fast growing plants will just slow. Some plants with stop growing altogether and slowly die. If you're growing dhg, baby tears- most delicate carpet plants, they will die. Crypts will melt (most will grow back though). An algae bloom is a definite possibility. After an adjustment period of around 7 months you should know what's going survive and what's not. I've just recently went back to basic from high tech and have spent the last year elbows deep in this very experiment...

·
Registered
13 Posts
The aquarium is a closed ecosystem that balances itself with whatever you throw it in. If you inject co2, high light, plenty of ferts plants thrive but some algae too. If you don't make gradual changes and have patience, it will eventually balance itself.

If you remove the carbon from the equation, you have to remove the high light and vigorous fertilization regime. Otherwise, you might see all kinds of algae in your tank, and some of them will be very, very hard to get away from.

If you do it properly, you will see things go south sometime, but it will eventually balance itself while saying bye-bye to high-demanding plants, but at some point and you might have a good-looking aquarium in low tech too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you keep your gains with the plants just growing slower or do they actually melt back? I was wondering about using CO2 just for the startup/carpeting phase and then removing it to place in another tank so I only have to buy one setup. Does anyone have any experience with this?
If you buy one setup you can split a cyilder to multiple aquariums if they are the same distance away. Depends on the type of carpeting plants what plant are you looking into using?

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have one particular plant in mind. I've got several nano tanks far away from each other where splitting a cylinder isn't an option so I'd have to buy multiple setups. On the flip side lighting is not a problem since they are tiny shallow tanks. Obviously I'd have to cut back on fertilizers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.