The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of the HOB's I've used wouldn't be able to start up again even if the water was topped up in the tank.

I haven't owned a canister before and wondered if they can prime themselves and get going again.

I'd hate to be out for the night or on vacation or whatever and this happens and the filter burns itself out or even catches fire.

Peace,

Anthony

·
Registered
120 Posts
As long as the water level has stayed above the intake and out and siphon is not broken they will not need to be primed and will restart.
JR

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'd hate to be out for the night or on vacation or whatever and this happens and the filter burns itself out or even catches fire.

In most cases, nothing. I have a powerhead and HOB that impeller stall so they need to be restarted manually. If in doubt, you should always test with a short intentional outage.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yeah. so long as your water levels are kept at proper levels I don't know of any filters that won't be able to get themseves started again. I know the Emperor line have some problems repriming themselves due to their huge intake tube, but again water level being high. they will get going. maybe just a little noisely.

As stated so long as the syphon is not broken this shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In most cases, nothing. I have a powerhead and HOB that impeller stall so they need to be restarted manually. If in doubt, you should always test with a short intentional outage.
Are you saying that's a safety feature that won't allow it to start when the power comes back after an interrupt?

What brands have that?

Like the other poster said, my experience was with an Emperor so that's what made me think of this in the first place. I've heard people say this about the aquaclear too if the level is low.

My thought with canisters was like you guys said as long as the siphon isn't broken, but does it ever break when you turn them off?

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I originally owned Emperor 280's and 400's filters and never had an issue of the filter starting back up after a power failure, as long as the water level is way above the level of the filter intake. I recently obtained a AquaClear 20 and it ran dry for awhile, for no reason. There was no power outage or brownouts and the water level was way above the level of the intake.

Fortunately, I use several canister filters and try to stay away from HOB filters. The reason is I like using inline heaters with them.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Are you saying that's a safety feature that won't allow it to start when the power comes back after an interrupt?
What brands have that?
The stuck impeller happens with one particular Aquaclear 100 and on Aquaclear powerhead. IMHO they are just old and dirty. One feature I like about the aquaclear series is that if the siphon breaks during a power outage, the unit is noisy and easy to spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.