The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i decided to make my 40b a show tank will a mix of all the shrimp color's from sukra reds to yellow neo and the cardi from oebt to CRS/CBS...

many of you might be asking well wont they will interbreed? well yes they will all the neo will breed with neo and all the cardi will breed with cardi's thats a fact.... BUT females are the bright ones out of all the males so.... you guessed it... its going to be a mix tank with "ONLY" females so there wont be any males to mate with them...

well my question for all the pros are... what happens if a female has a saddle and no males to mate with? will they be fine? will they just drop their eggs? (which i am fine with) or will they die for some reason that they cant get there eggs fertilize by a male? stupid question but i would like to know... if females human drop their eggs monthly... do shrimp act the same way?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
yes the females will just saddle up and remain that way for a while. then they reabsorb their eggs and saddle up again in the future. you will never see berried females if you have no males in your tank.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm no pro but not all females are the darker ones. I have a chocolate neo that is almost completely clear with a couple brown dots and a saddle. Almost looks like a malawa. I also had 3 rilis that kept having saddles but no eggs and the oldest one did kind of mope around. I think it was my water quality that was keeping them

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got a better idea... males are useless... they have a 1 track mind and thats to mate and reproduce... so you really only need 1 male and the rest can be females... so i'm taking all the males and throw them into the same tank as males cant reproduce without a females and less mope i guess lol and they can clean my graval instead of hiding like the femals do when they saddle up...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.