The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came home tonight to this discovery....I don't know what happened. I am new to the shrimp keeping world, but this doesn't seem normal. I've had my shrimp for about 3 months now, 5 adults, and since have had 8 babies. This is the first loss.
I have looked through several other threads, but I haven't found anything describing anything like this. And I've seen dead shrimp before....nothing like this....it was just stuck dead in that plastic plant....

Did the saddle explode??? is that even possible???

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
wow this is quite strange looking. i have never seen anything like this either. but maybe, and im just hypothesizing on this one, it could be something with the shell deforming from ingesting the plastic on the plants.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No its not a leech...thats the back part of the shrimp
as for ingesting the plastic...theres nothing missing from the plant so i dont know bit i dont think that would be the cause.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The brown part is the actual shell.....obvioulsy it didnt used to be brown...and the shrimp only died sometime today between 1130-7 while i was working

·
Registered
650 Posts
That is insane. I hope somebody has some sort of answer. Are you absolutely, totally sure that that is the shell? I don't understand how that could be. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just don't get it. That's crazy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Azjenny- totally sure. If u look in the first pic under the brown you can see where its ivoryish/white. Thats what was under the shell. This morning there were red spots there.

·
Registered
843 Posts
That has to be some kind of infection of the shell there. I don't know what else would make it turn black like that. I would get it out of the tank and dose melafix to be safe. The melafix will not hurt anything and some people use it as a preventative.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If it wasn't that color I would say it might be a bad molt.... When you first look I thought it was a leech also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remove it immediately. It is dangerous to your other shrimp. Dead or alive.

Of course!! I took these two pictures after I stood there dumbfounded for about 2 seconds and away it went. I was just meaning that it was alive when I left for work at 11 and when I returned at 7:30, such was not the case any longer. I don't know at which point during that time it died, so for how long it was dead, I don't know.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
This officially takes the cake for weirdest thing I've seen happen to a shrimp. I can't even wrap my head around what that could be. So when you pulled it out, could you get a better look at it? Was that part thick or same thickness as the rest of the shell or...or...gosh I don't even know the questions to ask. It looks like it has a definite thickness and convex shape...which makes me think parasite of some sort or a leech. I know you're saying its not a leech, but if it WAS a leech if it was firmly attached I don't know if you'd see movement from it. So did you poke at it or investigate any further than just pulling the shrimp out? I'd have had that sucker under the microscope or a magnifier if I didn't have a microscope. That is just bizarre.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This officially takes the cake for weirdest thing I've seen happen to a shrimp. I can't even wrap my head around what that could be. So when you pulled it out, could you get a better look at it? Was that part thick or same thickness as the rest of the shell or...or...gosh I don't even know the questions to ask. It looks like it has a definite thickness and convex shape...which makes me think parasite of some sort or a leech. I know you're saying its not a leech, but if it WAS a leech if it was firmly attached I don't know if you'd see movement from it. So did you poke at it or investigate any further than just pulling the shrimp out? I'd have had that sucker under the microscope or a magnifier if I didn't have a microscope. That is just bizarre.
The best way for me to describe it...is if you smash your fingernail how it turns black and loosens and falls off...that's kinda what it looked like...it's like the shell just separated at the lower end and bent upwards...now as for the consistency of it...the whole shrimp was softer than normal...but i'm sure that was from it sitting in the water dead for a while...when I pulled it out in the net...and then tried to get it back out the of the net it was quite squishy...

I know i'm new to this and everything I just don't see how a leech could perfectly position itself over this one area of shell...if it extended down past it onto the legs or under neathe where you see the white/ivoryish coloring...then I could maybe see it...but there was nothing anywhere else except just that one area of the the carapace. No where else. That's what is the most confusing part to me.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
looks like a bad molt to me... sometimes after its been rotting for a few hours when the flesh is stuck to the molt it turns funny colors.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
No, I've seen shells turn black, red, orange, purple, etc. Once the flesh is dead and exposed, opportunistic bacteria and organisms begin feasting immediately.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, I've seen shells turn black, red, orange, purple, etc. Once the flesh is dead and exposed, opportunistic bacteria and organisms begin feasting immediately.
Ok, so do you think this is something that would affect my other shrimp? The others don't seem to have any issues with molting. I actually haven't ever seen any of them molt, but I have seen their moltings and they have all been whole body ones.

I did read an article early this morning also that if any injury occurs to the shell or tissue of the shrimp that toxic bacteria will begin to turn it black in that area. So I do think it's bacteria that turned it that reason. So I assume from molting issues or injury of some sort...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts