The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, over the past several years I've really seen the difference in my fish when I'm regularly adding frozen foods to their prepared diets, but I've found the selection somewhat lacking for my nano tank.

Anyway, I'm curious, what frozen foods have you found that worked for the little guys?

I've used the following:
Daphnia
Cyclops
Mini Bloodworms (though some brands are definitely more "mini" than others)
Baby Brine Shrimp

I'd love to add more diversity to my fishs' diets, especially when conditioning in the hope of breeding.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
None. Most of the fish I've worked with are simply too small to really take any of the commercial frozen foods. I feed baby brine shrimp most of the time, and something like golden pearls for staple diet. The fish also really like tetra flakes (I know, I'm surprised too). I'd like to get Daphnia pulex as a live food culture, and some sort of harpacticoid freshwater copepod going as well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None. Most of the fish I've worked with are simply too small to really take any of the commercial frozen foods. I feed baby brine shrimp most of the time, and something like golden pearls for staple diet. The fish also really like tetra flakes (I know, I'm surprised too). I'd like to get Daphnia pulex as a live food culture, and some sort of harpacticoid freshwater copepod going as well.
Lol, mine actually get tetra flakes (crushed fine) as their staple diet too, except the hasbrosus cories, which get mini sinking pellets.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Lol, mine actually get tetra flakes (crushed fine) as their staple diet too, except the hasbrosus cories, which get mini sinking pellets.
Oh, I forgot: I also feed blackworms to the pygmy cats. Pygmaeus go WILD for live blackworms, and it's kinda funny to see them take on worms the same size as they are or even bigger.

What is tetra putting in their food, that makes it so tasty for nano fish?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to give tubifex worms a go. I broke them up with some tweezers since they are so long, and dropped them in.

The embers are sort of "deciding" if they like them; they're picking at the tubifex and eating some, but haven't gone into their usual frenzy. The cories smell food and are sort of looking around, but haven't located any yet, so we'll see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.