The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. So I have been back and forth about fish species. I just can't make up my mind because of the tank dimensions and the awesome piece of driftwood wood I have. The tank will be viewable from both sides, so aqua-scaping will be a tough one for me.
I would love to know everyone's thoughts/opinions on this one. How would you suggest I stock it? Any scape ideas are welcomed as well. I am stuck.

Tank dimensions: 39 5/8" long, 22" deep, 23" Tall (I took off a couple inches in height because I will have substrate and don't fill my tank to the tippy top.) So it is roughly 85 gallons.
Please :help: me.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Depends on if you just like the look of certain fish or you would like the tank to have an almost natural look. You mostly see one kind of fish at a time in the wild. And lots of people say it looks better to have a larger school of one kind rather than multiple random fish.
Then I have also seen stocking list in here with random kinds of fish at 1, 2 or 3 of each. I might suggest you look in the Gallery at tanks aprx the same size for examples of scapes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I should have gave a bit more information about what type of fish I like. Sorry guys.

Because it is see through, I had thought rainbows would be awesome in there, but then decided it is too short for their happiness since they move around a lot. I have 6 Angels in a 90 gallon 48" long X 18" deep X 24" high tank, and thought about puting them in there, until I figured they might not have enough length to establish comfortable territories. I thought about an African Cichlid set up, but our water is 7.0 from tap, and with that big piece of wood the pH would fluctuate too often even with countering it with pH raising rocks right? I also thought about bigger cichlids like a green terror, Jack Dempsey and Red Jewel...but then eventually they would have to be swaped for smaller ones at my LFS. Same would go for a brackish set-up with Scats, Figure Eight puffers and Mono Argentus. They would outgrow the tank and have to be traded. I get attached to my fish and would hate trading them.
So that is my frustration. The life of the fish I will be adding matter very much to me. Their hapiness is top priority and of course, the beauty of the set-up is 2nd.

What are your opinions about what I have said? If you find errors in my worries, please don't hesitate to tell me :icon_smil

Does anyone have a double-sided-viewing tank on here?
Thans everyone for your suggestions!

Bump:
I agree Angelfish would look great in that tank , that's a beautiful tank can I ask who makes it? Thank you
It was a custom built tank a friend of mine had for Oscars. They are upgrading to a 180 gallon for their 2 Oscars, 3 Jack Dempsey's, Pleco and others I can't recall. I don't understand why it was made so short. 48" long would have made it a perfect tank. It's got a built in double coil filter system with in housed heater.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on if you just like the look of certain fish or you would like the tank to have an almost natural look. You mostly see one kind of fish at a time in the wild. And lots of people say it looks better to have a larger school of one kind rather than multiple random fish.
Then I have also seen stocking list in here with random kinds of fish at 1, 2 or 3 of each. I might suggest you look in the Gallery at tanks aprx the same size for examples of scapes.
I appreciate interesting/beautiful aquascapes. I often find myself searching google for masterpiece scapes ;) I enjoy my current tank as it is understocked and planted.
This tank, I wanted to try something different. I was going to brave up and do big fish like an oscar pair (which I have always thought were awesome) but then am afraid of the mess they make. I would like to avoid cleaning my tank more than I get to watch it.
I will browse the gallery some more. :smile:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I appreciate interesting/beautiful aquascapes. I often find myself searching google for masterpiece scapes ;) I enjoy my current tank as it is understocked and planted.
This tank, I wanted to try something different. I was going to brave up and do big fish like an oscar pair (which I have always thought were awesome) but then am afraid of the mess they make. I would like to avoid cleaning my tank more than I get to watch it.
I will browse the gallery some more. :smile:
Big fish? Geophagus. There are tons of types, I would link them but there are so many cool ones.

However, if you are planning on carpeting they will not be happy.

I just have a distaste for oscars. They look the best at about 3" long, but after that they just tend to get ugly, by no fault of their own of course.

That and people would bring large ones back to the shop I used to work at, constantly.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Especially with it being visible from both sides, I'd likely go with as big a school of a single species of mid sized, mid to top swimming fish as I could reasonably stock--congo tetras would be gorgeous-- and then fill in the bottom with cories and/or a couple bn plecos (or similar small plecos) and german blue rams to add a little color and interest in the lower sections.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What fish and plants interest you? It's you that will be looking at it. Beautiful tank btw.

I'd be tempted to have a tiger Oscar in there, but that's just because I want one.

I wonder how many neon tetras you could accommodate. :p

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
When thinking about the Ph, wood,etc. and whether it will change, look at the GH/KH readings more than the PH. GH/KH is the called buffering. That is because it is what resists changes in the PH. Lots of buffer makes it difficult to change PH. We all read PH as the important issue but I find it much more practical to match the fish to GH/Kh . I find PH is of far less importance than I read.
Don't totally reject a fish that you might like just based on the PH. That can vary a whole bunch as the fish can adapt to far different water than the "ideal" specs. I have African cichlids breeding in water with the PH driven down as low as 6.6 when I'm using pressure CO2 for plants.
If you like it, do some more in depth study before totally rejecting them.
I would love a group of rainbow cichlids in that tank.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=91

·
Registered
667 Posts
Might be spectacular with one or 2 schools , maybe 20-25 in each , of small , colorful barbs , tetras , rasboras and the like . Maybe lots of plants in with the wood , and a big open area for the schools to run around .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Big fish? Geophagus. There are tons of types, I would link them but there are so many cool ones.

However, if you are planning on carpeting they will not be happy.

I just have a distaste for oscars. They look the best at about 3" long, but after that they just tend to get ugly, by no fault of their own of course.

That and people would bring large ones back to the shop I used to work at, constantly.
Wow! I have never heard of Geohagus. Beautiful! My favorites are the orange head, red head, red striped earth eater and neambi. I used aqadvisor as a guideline, putting in 2 red heads, 1 orange head and 2 red striped earth eaters. Then I added 10 barbs. Says all was perfect and understocked. Cool. I'm set! So I thought......:redface:
Then I did more research and found on Seriouslyfish the geo. sp need a minimum of 70" long by 23" deep tank.
Oops. Back to square one.

This tank is a problem for me because the fish I like best need more length. Ugh :confused1:

Bump:
Especially with it being visible from both sides, I'd likely go with as big a school of a single species of mid sized, mid to top swimming fish as I could reasonably stock--congo tetras would be gorgeous-- and then fill in the bottom with cories and/or a couple bn plecos (or similar small plecos) and german blue rams to add a little color and interest in the lower sections.
I've always liked congo tetras but without the tank planted along one side, wouldn't their coloring be turned down quite a bit?

Bump:
When thinking about the Ph, wood,etc. and whether it will change, look at the GH/KH readings more than the PH. GH/KH is the called buffering. That is because it is what resists changes in the PH. Lots of buffer makes it difficult to change PH. We all read PH as the important issue but I find it much more practical to match the fish to GH/Kh . I find PH is of far less importance than I read.
Don't totally reject a fish that you might like just based on the PH. That can vary a whole bunch as the fish can adapt to far different water than the "ideal" specs. I have African cichlids breeding in water with the PH driven down as low as 6.6 when I'm using pressure CO2 for plants.
If you like it, do some more in depth study before totally rejecting them.
I would love a group of rainbow cichlids in that tank.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=91
Well that's interesting. Thanks for the info :icon_smil

Bump:
What about a weirdo-fish tank? African butterfly, leaf-fish, rope fish... Weird stuff like that. And put oak leaves in to add tannins and tint the water.

I had concidered a "weirdo-tank" initially! But then decided I would need color in there since it is see through. Otherwise my fish will dissapear into the background (my house). Butterfly fish are so awesome though!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here. Some lists of what I've been brainstorming.

6 neon dwarf rainbowfish
6 Salmon Red Rainbows
? what else for this tank?
*is my tank too short for these fish?

6 Angelfish
20 cardinals
1 Pictus Catfish
*Would my Angels feel crammed in this 39" long tank? They are in 48" long right now.
I have kept Angels for 7 years. I just don't know if I'd enjoy them in a see through tank because I can't have a lot of plants. The scape will be limited to a sparce few plants in order to see into the tank from both sides.

1 Green Terror or Jack Dempsey with something?
*Never kept fish like this before...a lot of deep cleaning often right?

I was totally set on my inhabitants this morning. It was perfect in my eyes, but then I read that definetely my tank is too short for these guys no matter what Aqadvisor says (said tank would only be 71% stocked if I included both the schooling species in the list below!). But I'm still dreaming. These are some cool fish! Check it out below; if only I had a 70" long tank!

2 Geophagus Red Head or Orange head
2 Red Striped Earth Eaters
10 Silver Hatchet Fish
~or~
10 Black Ruby Barbs

I am stumped :( I really want to figure this out so I can get my scape together, fill my tank and then finally start my fishless cycle! It's tough when I decide on something and am so happy about it only to find out after further research, my tank is too short. Seems to be the only problem thus far.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most 72" tanks are only 18" wide.

I mean, I kind of trust seriously fish, but I've seen geophagus housed in much shorter tanks than that. A local shop has them in a display tank very similar to yours, and even just looking at the tank I know they are over stocking, but everything in that tank seems happy.

If you only end up buying a pair, or a couple males, I really don't see what the problem would be. Your tank is also 4" wider.

Green terrors/jacksempsies/large body chichlids can be pretty ornery. Back when I worked at a shop, one of my co-workers would always talk about how his would beat on each other constantly.

The decision is ultimately up to you. I am unsure about the "tank length" thing, and as long as you have multiple line of sight blocks I believe that any aggression should be minimal.

Wait for someone else to weigh in. Somebody might think my idea is preposterous, we'll see what other people think.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts